my new project 28 gl jbj

johnkeys

i ve haven't had a salt water reef tank set up in 15 plus years ... i got the itch this summer i trip over this tank last month and here i go again OBESSED .... LOL ..i wanted to start small ..

i need a little help ..i have the two small pumps it came with and the wave machine ..i added akoralia 750 gph pump to the tank also seems a little strong ???? the skimmer i have works off an air pump i could'nt find one with ajustable speeds ????? i have a couple of fish now tank seems fine i'm testing it this weekend ... i would like to put some soft corals in .... im a little old school in how i stacked my rocks but im fleaxable any suggestion will be appreciated ... heres some pictures...

post-2633501-0-76287100-1357184224_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-73601500-1357184237_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-82772500-1357184249_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-73578900-1357184260_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-27584300-1357184278_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-65921900-1357184288_thumb.jpg

Probably too much rock in there for good flow/detritus removal. Koralia too large and will most likely cause heat issues in addition to the HQI. Take off the diffuser on the end of the loc-line and let it run wide open. Keep 3 or 4 fish and a few inverts and you'll be fine. No need for a skimmer. If you're concerned about nutrient export, run a BP reactor.

Welcome back to the hobby! The tank looks nice. I agree the koralia is a oversized and not really needed right now. The tank would look better with it gone. Post some info, maybe pics, of the skimmer so we can maybe recommend something. Do you have a top on the tank? How is the 150w mounted?

thank you for your help ... the light's are mounted in the hood and 4 small fans .. i'm gone to add a small fan on the back soon ....

im gone to pull the koralia tonight and look for a smaller one ...im not sure what to do with the live rock i like the way it looks im gone to take out a third this weekend and see if my buddy will store it for me ... looks like im gone to need another tank ;-) i starting to get some extra stuff haha . zygote2k ????? Take off the diffuser on the end of the loc-line and let it run wide open. what do you mean by that? where's that located? sorry for the dumb question im sure ill have a lot more .... has anyone found bigger return pumps for the 28 g nano tanks? what does the skimmer remove again ? will it allow me to add more corals or fish?.

I have 2 of the MJ1200 in mine also. I have the CF version. Using the Koralia nano running behind my rock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to the JBJ club. :-)

FWIW I tossed the stock JBJ nano skimmer and went with a AquaMaxx HOB-1. Love it. Pulls out a lot of gunk and allows me to carbon dose.

Check out my pics and vids in the link below for my 28 jbj setup.

Edited by jaddc

thanks mike .. i'm gone to look for one ... jaddc nice tank ,, do you use the stock pumps ?? i think mine are loud .. i bought the tank used i was thinking they needed replaced . your tank has a lot of corals ow long did it take to get there and what did you have to add to the stock tank to handle that much life ? what kind of wave pump is that on the side of your tank ?? .. i'm gone to stop here i swear i have a hundred more question sorry .... thanks again for all the help ....

Ask away -- no probs.

I use the stock pumps, which should be a quiet hum. I never thought they were very powerful, so I tried an MJ1200. It could of just been me but it was so loud that I had to take it out and put the stock pump back in. But I wanted more flow so I now use the Vortech MP10. Its pricey but nice.

I don't think I do anything special. I added the fish over time so the bacteria can adjust. I keep up with weekly 5 gallon water changes. I detached the lid which make life so much easier. I suspend my LEDs from the ceiling over the tank.

It took over a year to get the tank like that so my main ingredient is patience.

thanks i re-did the tank im up to 4 fish now every all my levels are steady now... do you add any supplements to your tank there so many now there confusing .. i use to put a pure chem in the tank and weekly water changes back in the day and it worked fine .. l you do a 5 gl water changes every week isn't that over kill or is that the trick to keeping a full thank thanks again. maybe ill meet you at the meeting I'm going with my buddy Greg to the next one ,,, i kinda like the hood set up lol

post-2633501-0-15264100-1357315439_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-70998200-1357315480_thumb.jpg

post-2633501-0-83663400-1357315563_thumb.jpg

The 5 gal wc is not overkill and 5 gals is a convenient size. But since I do the WCs, I only add 2 part to the tank if necessary.

One tip for you -- you can get some loc-line to stick the returns further out from the wall. That way you'll have more control of where the flow goes.

Pics are looking good!

One of my MJ is loud just like the original pump. I don't use a skimmer. Weekly 5 gallon water change is needed to keep tank happy. I add like 1 gallon every 2-3 days of fresh water as top off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I dont think any good skimmer will fit in the JBJ with the hood on. 5 gallon water change is what I did as well for my 24. I suggest getting a auto topoff as well to stabilize the salinity level.