So frustrated!

NYfan78

So i have had a ruby head wraase for over 2 months now. I come home from being gone 2 days and he is dead. My water parameters are all good. Now i haven't done a water change in 3 weeks (i know that bad)due to just being so busy with the holidays and work. He looks fine and free of any diseases that i can see. He was the only fish but planned on getting more this weekend. My question is why!

No I got him from Mr. Coral and he QTs all his fish before selling. He also ate good and was active!

Edited by NYfan78

Yeah i had 2 in there for a while but they got aggressive so i sold them. They did fine!

If he looked okay, then its most likely internal parasites or other internal issues....did you QT him prior to putting him in your DT?(I'm not a QT'r so no dig here)

This is not good logic to follow. Fish can die from many things. Sometimes they can die from old age, boredom, loneliness, stress.

If the fish didn't have any noticeable signs of death, then it's probably best to chalk it up to a random occurrence. If you get a 2nd fish of the same type, and it mysteriously dies, then you might seek further investigation. QT or lack of doesn't necessarily mean that the fish are more or less likely to survive. QT is really for the purpose of stopping the spread of and quarantining of infectious diseases and parasites or for simple observation before introduction to general population.

Check out DIVERS DEN QT procedures and you will see the difference between just watching a fish for ick and really

addressing long term survivability for reef fish.

well nitrates, nitrites and amona are all at 0 and ph is 8.1, salinity is at 1. 26

34 gallon red sea max. temp kept at constant 79-80. yes i always calibrate my refractometer. no one was feeding him. i was told they are fine without food for a few days.

That's true, if fish are in good shape they can go days without food. And going three weeks without a water change isn't bad as long as the water parameters are fine. Are you going to try to get another one? They are one of my favorite wrasses.

POSSIBLY. I THNK I WILL GET A WATCHMAN GOBY FIRST AND THEN A CLOWN PAIR THEN A PURPLE FIRE FISH. THEN NOT SURE WHAT ELSE CAN FIT. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?