My 14 gallon BioCube Build

YHSublime

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man! I looked at so many nano's before I started, I've had a lot of aspirations. I want to show people that it's possible to have a great looking tank in such a small space!

i know what you mean .....mine's a little full now .. ill post some more pics of mine this week ...it's finally turned the corner two weeks ago

now all it needs is time .....

whats up with your 40 is it up and running yet .... keep up the good work ...

maybe ill see you at the meeting ...

john

Ughhh. Re-did my rock work to get all the corals off the racks and make room for some of my new ones I was picking up today. Really unhappy with the new look. Don't know if I can get it back : /

Not so bad now that everything has filled out a bit, I've got snail eggs all over each pane of glass, and everything is doing well. I've started feeding Jans Bio, and everything in the tank is loving it. I also got a starfish from her to help stir up the sandbed A couple shots of how things are looking now:

DSC_0271_zpsad962bfd.jpg

DSC_0273_zps161b05a9.jpg

DSC_0275_zps4e1ace0c.jpg

DSC_0279_zps27799080.jpg

DSC_0284_zps73f54610.jpg

DSC_0285_zpsa343437d.jpg

And here is a couple with just my blues, I like to keep them running for a couple hours when i get home, just so I can enjoy the coral glows a bit.

DSC_0308_zps4aab99f8.jpg

DSC_0310_zpsd266e23d.jpg

DSC_0312_zpse4a1f9f1.jpg

DSC_0313_zpsc35df443.jpg

DSC_0316_zps0e94b699.jpg

Looks great!! I like the new look!

Thanks! I was pretty disapointed with it for a while, but once all the corals opened up it really filled into itself. Plus it's nice to have all the frag racks out, and the fish seem happier with more space. It's a little bit lower than before, I'm looking into an LED retrofit on the lid.

retrofit are great. either look at steves or rapidled for the kit. i have a kit in my aquapod and liked it a lot more than the 150 halide i had. no temp swing with it and the lights are a little brighter too. i suggest getting the dimmable version which will allow you to control it with a pot or controller.

Dimmable version is on the plate. Looking into an apex as well. I'm pretty much looking into spending all my money.

haha. you should really get a to do list for your projects. there is so many items on my wish list that i needed to put them on an priority list which puts stuff for the 75 gallon to the bottom of the list and to be honest i dont see my 75 running within the next 3 years.

before upgrading items on your 14 or 29, maybe put stuff for your new tank on the top of the list until it is up and running.

Traded the 29+ cash for the new blueline. Just need to sell that 45 cube and I'll be back in business. I was going to say, I'm fairly happy with my cube, All these new things like RO/DI's and Apex controllers, skimmers, sumps, are just teaching me as I go along. I look forward to setting up the rimless, and I tell myself I'll transfer from the BC as I get it done... but we'll see.

ya, all your corals look happy in the 14 so you probably dont need anything other than a auto top off for that tank right now. i really like your rimless so i guess i am just as excited to see it running as you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, it's been a while. I wanted to do a photo series showing my tank from not quite the very begining till now, enjoy!

DSC_0263_zpsc25d5693.jpg

DSC_0275_zps64e1414b.jpg

DSC_0282_zps8cb5558a.jpg

DSC_0266_zps72f344b2.jpg

DSC_0332_zps355ee7f7.jpg

DSC_0277_zps1c493390.jpg

DSC_0321_zpsf7e0d5c3.jpg

DSC_0366_zpsdf5b4d99.jpg

DSC_0269_zps54fadb7f.jpg

DSC_0265_zps6c1a604f.jpg

DSC_0271_zps73432345.jpg

DSC_0276_zpscb6d7b87.jpg

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it's shaping up. Everything seems to be thriving. The peppermint is constantly molting, and the snails are throwing down eggs like there is no tomorrow. At this stage I'm keeping my front panel clean and letting everything else take it's course. Just watching that 57 cycle is killing me!

What's going on with my frogspawn up here? Looks like it's being eaten...

DSC_0269_zpsece1b784.jpg

DSC_0270_zps39060d11.jpg

DSC_0271_zps5c7e108b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cube is nearly broken down, just live rock, couple hermits, snails, starfish, featherdusters, and mushrooms. Thinking about turning it into a QT for corals. Thoughts?

Well, it was time to get serious. I had some pretty serious cyno growing on the back walls (bubbles and all), scrapped it off, and it smelt TERRIBLE. The lights are still on a timer, and I guess I have been slacking on water changes since I've started directing all my attention to the 57. I did a little bit of aquascaping, and I threw in some new rock I had been soaking about a week and a half ago, it's already growing coraline on it. The back wall is also starting to spot up with coraline, which it never did before.

I'm thinking a zoa and ric tank.

DSC_0273_zps4df9c705.jpg

DSC_0275_zps95c01568.jpg

Yeah...easy corals will be the best...in a tank like this you could do a few fish that your worried about jumping like a jewfish or fire fish....or get something fun like an angler or leaf fish....