Looking to rent a couple of Peppermint shrimps

Ne0eN

Hi all,

I got some LR recently that I'm quarantining and I'm seeing a lot of aptaisia... Anyone willing to lend a bunch of hungry peppermints? I think 2-3 should do the trick in a week or so. I haven't seen any locally in a while. If anyone knows of any LFS that sells them I'm also interested.

Thanks,

-Rob

Guest samc99us

Want to do a group buy on some aiptasia eating Berghia v. Nudibranch ? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...5&pagenumber=13

I have no problems paying this guy $15 bucks a piece for something I know will take care of the aiptasia problem (since thats all they eat), but, as always, shipping is a little bit crazy, so splitting that would be great. I'm in Lusby, MD, fyi. Also, once we have a few of these local, we can just pass them around since all they eat is aiptasia, and once you run out of aiptasia, the next guy down the line can have them, and WHEN your aiptasia come back, you can get the nudi's back. Plus, they breed fairly easily, which is one reason they work better than pepperment shirmp (more predators, the better). I have not had luck with peppies in a tank that was fed regularly, they tend to stick with the tank food if they can.

Sam

I had posted about doing a group buy on berghia's a little while ago. I found a place that will ship 3 for $40 plus about $20 in shipping. They say that they are shipped at a larger size than normal, and you need several to start a colony. Let me know if you're interested.

Dave

Berghia will not eat majanos, they are very specialized to eat the aiptasia. I don't know about peps, though, as they aren't so specialized to eat only aiptasia. I know that they can and will pick at polyps on occasion, but again, not sure of the majanos. That said, I wouldn't bet on it since half the time they don't really do a whole lot to aiptasia.

Guest Pandora

How does anyone "rent" these shrimp? Once you put them in your tank, you will never be able to get them out again unless you do a complete takedown. There are people who have had them for years and never see them except at night.

Good point.

I bought three a year ago and have seen them only once a long time ago.

I know they're getting pretty darn big though.

You can bet your butt if you buy them specifically to eat aptasia,

they won't. :rolleyes:

they are also opportunists and will eat anything that is easy to scavenge also. i had bought some but they didn't touch my aptasia that i could see which was large. so who knows if they ate the smaller ones. i ended up having to hit the large ones with kalk patse.

Guest alex wlazlak

i know if you go to the fishplace they usually have some.. maybe you can check online and get some from them...

I bought three a year ago and have seen them only once a long time ago.

I know they're getting pretty darn big though.

Oh, yeah, thanks for pointing that out,

I know they're getting bigger because very once in a while I see an exoskeleton floating in the tank and it/they look pretty darn big. I must have fixed a typo and lost that whole line.

peps will not eat mojanos

38754[/snapback]

Hmmm, I haver had them eat majanos. I had a few majanos in my nano and added 2 peppermint shrimp. The majanos were gone less than 2 days later. I have not been able to keep peppermints too long unless you can target feed them. One lived in the back of my nano for a while, i found him while feed the tank one day. I left him in there and was hand feeding him for a while. I decided i wanted him in the main tank so i moved him in. couple of weeks later he is MIA. I have to check the back agian.

Anyway they did eat my majanos.