Need ID help x 2!

SooperD

Hello All,

I have 2 different growths on the underside of my porites coral. The first is a colony of white sponges that is growing around the edge (Pic #1). I am concerned that it will interfere with new growth. The second are two separate small (<1cm) worm like things. They each have one orifice and seem to be spinning a web to catch loose stuff. Pic #2 shows one of them, greenish gray stump attached to rock on which porite is growing, with a pink mouth. I think I just saw it chewing on the poop that my feather duster extrudes.....

Are either one of these bad news?

Thanks!

--S

post-2633368-0-08455800-1354231767_thumb.jpg

post-2633368-0-31320500-1354231774_thumb.jpg

Pic 1 doesn't look like a harmful sponge. The ones that can sometimes be a problem are the ones that grow in more of a "matt" sort of pattern. IME at least.

I can't really tell from the picture, but Pic 2 sounds like vermetid snails which are definitely a pest and I would suggest getting rid of them.

The first looks like pineapple sponge or also called scypha sponge. They are good water filters.

The other is vermetid worms and the strings are what it uses to catch detritus to eat. I don't consider either one of them pests.

Exactly the link I was about to post to defend my self! :) In small numbers I've never had issues, but when they start spreading they can be very densely packed in areas and they become a huge eyesore and seem to bother the corals.