Ro/di replacing shower??

Jsbarber12

I have an unused shower in my basement , I only use the toilet and sink in there, and a walkin shower that has not been used in the two years I've been here. Wonder if I can replace the shower head with an ro/di unit, and have my water mixing station raised up a little bit in the shower? Just in case overflow it just drains in the existing shower drain? ......let's hear the criticism/ideas

I'm actually using the shower in my spare bathroom to make my water. I have one of those handheld shower wands in there. I disconnected the shower wand, added a PVC 1/2" FTF adapter from the depot and an JG fitting from the depot as well to go into the RODI. Pressure is fine and has worked perfect so far.

Seems totally ideal to me. Screw it into the shower head and you even have temperature control of the input water so it will work faster I the winter. Maybe I should run a hot over to where I'm putting mine and install a mixing valve. Hmm

Seems totally ideal to me. Screw it into the shower head and you even have temperature control of the input water so it will work faster I the winter. Maybe I should run a hot over to where I'm putting mine and install a mixing valve. Hmm

You should only use cold water for your RO/DI feed. Hot water has other dissolved solids including some heavy metals. Cold does not have as many impurities. If you want to have warmer water for increased flow, put a bucket with a heater in it and coil some tubing in there to raise the water temp before it hits the membrane.

You should only use cold water for your RO/DI feed. Hot water has other dissolved solids including some heavy metals. Cold does not have as many impurities. If you want to have warmer water for increased flow, put a bucket with a heater in it and coil some tubing in there to raise the water temp before it hits the membrane.

Could use an in-line Hydor heater too, I guess. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-In-Line-Heater-300W-16mm/dp/B0002Z7VQE

Would save me from keeping a bucket of water to get yucky and keeping a buncha hose in it.

Could use an in-line Hydor heater too, I guess. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-In-Line-Heater-300W-16mm/dp/B0002Z7VQE

Would save me from keeping a bucket of water to get yucky and keeping a buncha hose in it.

I ran the waste water through the bucket as it kept it clean. The heater kicked on only a little more often because the waste water was warmer than tap water.

I ran the waste water through the bucket as it kept it clean. The heater kicked on only a little more often because the waste water was warmer than tap water.

Well, that's genius. Sheesh. You've already heated it up going into the RO/DI, so it would have not lost that much heat by the time it makes it to the bucket. Would a copper immersion chiller from my brewing days work? Seems like most would avoid doing copper pipe in the bucket, but it's not like all the cold water hasn't been moving through copper pipe to get to the RO/DI in the first place. Would transfer way more heat with way less pipe than a spool of 1/4" plastic.

You don't want to exposure the fresh RO/DI to copper or it will leech into it. You don't worry about copper piping pre RO/DI unit as the filter will remove it.