skimmer help

jacksammoms-tank

Hi all,

The skimmer was working like a champ, but I had not cleaned the pumps at all in 3 months. Thought it was a good idea. Swished and ran in water with vinegar. Rinsed in Rodi. Has not worked again. any thoughts? So bummed as I cannot afford another skimmer. Help!!!

Thanks, Toni

Did you take the unit apart or just swished around intact in water and vinegar? Sometimes you have to take the impeller out. It can get clogged. A little whack can loosen things up too.

When I clean my pumps I use a toothbrush on the outside and wherever I can get it inside. Then I take it apart and pull out the impeller and squirt a mixture of water and vinegar in there. I put it all back together and let it run in vinegar and water. Then I transfer them to a bucket of water from a water change or a bucket with Ro/DI water and let it run clean for a few minutes. Sound more complicated than what it is.

Hi Toni. Thinking similar to Jan, does the impeller turn freely on the shaft or is it binding a little. Calcium deposits in the impeller or along the shaft can cause binding. I've had the plastic on some cheap pumps even swell a little, necessitating that I run a small, well-matched drill bit down to make it so it turned freely again.

A little whack can loosen things up too.

I was going to suggest a swift kick in the pants, but that works too. :)

That happens to me from time to time. Not sure what causes it. Even when I clean the heck of out of pumps, they can still be a little "grabby" when they first start up. I think the biofilm that develops on them over time keeps them loose until the calcium builds up.