Salifert test colors

PotomacBoater

I admit it,

I have not been able to read the color change on the Mg, Alk or Ca tests.

Has anyone else noticed this?

My tests have the "blue spoon"

Is the new "red spoon" kits that much easier to read?

Is my only other option a Hanna checker?

I assume the "Alkalinity Colorimeter" and the "Calcium and Magnesium Photometer" are what I would need? Are there other options? The Photometer seems pretty expensive.

I own the hanna for Alk, Phos and PO4, and Ca and really don't like them: the numbers are all over the place even when run back-to-back (poor reproducibility IME - and I am a bioengineer by training with a fair bit of lab experience/OCD with cuvette cleaning/etc). I have gone back to Salifert for Ca/Alk/Mg and Red Seas for PO4/NO3.

I use salifert for calcium too. No phosphate test I have ever bought has been easy to read. Although the hanna checker at least gives an idea of what they are.

hannah for alk is just nice for me, with back to back tests the biggest difference ive gotten is 3 ppm (aka very little)

ive just made sure to put a mark on the checker and to try and orient the curvette's the same way each time (made a mark with a sharpie and line up the 1 in 10ml mark to that point each time....use the same amount of water and test fluid each time (funny how i never end up with ANY test fluid left over, always expected a little over or under fill)

otherwise salifert had always been good to me, Pay attention to the light you do your reading in.....some flourescent bulbs and or tank light can make your life difficult, sunlight and or bulbs in a different room seem to work best for me.

I have to go out an buy some new kits (started a new cube for the daughter) and the only test kits i have are alk and phosphate hanna and salifert mg, ca so hopefully other chime in, im thinking one of the cheapo API master kits or something.

you have to be under natural lighting or daylight office lighting to see the correct color change with Salifert kits.

unless of course you are really colorblind, then I would assume the Hanna checker is what you need.

Edited by zygote2k

I was trying to use outside light today

but I wouldn't exactly call today sunny.

;-)

Sounds like different opinions on the Hannah meters.

But haven't seen any other products suggested (other then Salifert, ofcourse)