DIY 2 part and small dosing lines

zygote2k

I had been using the RHF method of DIY 3 part for many years and have now made the switch to BRS grade. I had been using the same doser with a 2 channel lineset. The lineset is 3mm tubing. Some of the 'debris' from the non-pure calcium chloride had lodged inside the tubing creating a clot which eventually stopped the flow of calcium into the tank causing it to fall to 290 before the next scheduled visit.

With pure chemicals, there isn't any dirt or debris to clog lines.

Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride from HD tends to have dirt or other impurities in their mix. I've even decanted fresh mix to another jug and filtered through a coffee filter to remove the dirt, but it's still there.

I haven't had any problems like that with my calcium, but I have had the alk line clog up. I think it's because the alk line output was in the water of my sump, and the water interacted with the alk to make some sort of precipitate that clogged the end of the tube basically.

Have you tried flushing the line with acetic acid/vinegar and then doing several thorough washes with RODI water? It's possible that if your CaCl2 concentration is high enough, it can be slowly crystalizing and clogging your lines.

Before I switched over to a Ca reactor, the Alk line on my 2 part often crystalized at the interface with the water. I finally bought a series of adaptors and short pieces of tubing on US Plastics and upsized the distal in to a much larger tubing size that never clogged again.