drupella snails & crown of thorns

zygote2k

I see drupella snails and crown of thorns being offered for sale. Look 'em up on the net and it says they are coralivores. Why sell a known pest species? I also have seen feather caulerpa locally...

Yikes, crown of thorns is very distructive. Not good!!! New reefers will think they're cool to have in their DT's. They are very pretty and unique but not good.

The caulerpa is everywhere. I've seen folks asking for it for thier refugiums. California will not allow the sale because it has taken over the oceans there.

Good looking out, Rob.

You could then call fish that eat corals pests and people still enjoy them. Just put them in a FOWLR. I see nothing wrong with selling crown of thorns especially since the collection will keep them off the reefs.

Edited by forrealb50

You could then call fish that eat corals pests and people still enjoy them. Just put them in a FOWLR. I see nothing wrong with selling crown of thorns especially since the collection will keep them off the reefs.

The problem is with people not knowing what they are until it's too late. It's not like vendors put warning labels on livestock items.

We play with palythoas all the time. They can contain the second deadliest toxin known to man, yet I don't see any warnings when selling them. Same with poisonous fish........has anyone been pricked by a rabbitfish? There really isn't a whole lot of honesty out there when it comes to retail......the almighty dollar wins out everytime.