Most important aspect to maintain in power outage?

426HEMI

Flow? Heat? O2 of some sort? Been considering this all since this silly storm (that probably won't amount to anything) is being hyped to death around here. Without a generator I figure a battery powered air pump would be a good idea, and I suppose if worse comes to worse I could always gently heat a rock or even some salt water on the gas stove to help keep the heat up. Bad idea?

Flow and depending on the weather heat or keeping your tank cool. I don't know how heat will affect salt mix, if at all. To keep my tank cool I have gallon freezer bags filled with ro/di water which I've floated in my tank. After the ice melts I've used the ro/di water for top off. Heat is more difficult. Haven't had to deal with that. Some folks say wrap the tank with a blanket or something. Don't cover the top.Your tank can go without light for a few days. IME going without lights for a day or two makes my corals open more once the light comes back on. some say it mimics a storm at sea.

Edited by Jan's Reef Foods

Battery air pumps work great to create some flow and O2 exchange. If you have a UPS you can use a small low wattage power head. My UPS will last about six hours powering my Tunze 6025.

I had a lot of luck running my small 290gph pump off an auto power inverter last July. I had to cool the tank with a small battery powered fan. Do NOT feed your tank during the power outage. After 3 days maybe give them a bit of food.

Check with quantum reefs, I know I got one from them yesterday. They should hopefully still have a few left. Petco also had some. I stopped by the Petco in Tysons and they had several. I would definitely make moves quickly to get one though because it's only a matter of time before theyre gone today.

If you can get some light into the tank, either using LEDs on battery or sunlight, it will make a big difference in oxygen levels. It is all about the oxygen.

Of course you need all the flow you can get, to allow gas exchange on the surface and against the corals. I am not sure temps will be a big problem with this event. Reefs can get pretty cool as long as it happens slowly. I swam on the Great Barrier Reef with 73 degree water.

Before I had my generator installed, I managed to get through a 36h outage by simply giving intermittent flow to the DT with a tupperware bowl (scooped up a bowl of water and dumped it back in): It's not that I am recommending this as the sole form of flow, but if you're desperate surface agitation is better than nothing.

Kinda off topic...Target in Burke still has D batteries for your air pumps if you are scrambling for more. (not that I was one of those people mind you!)

Good luck everyone!