Seahorses....

smallreef

Just trying to gauge who is keeping them and how?

I have seen many kept in mixed reefs and wondering if the temps are kept at the lower range or???

and if you keep a seahorse only tanks what kind of horses and what temps do you run those at???

Hi, I have hippocampus erectus and I try to keep the tank at about 74to 76 degrees. I have a mated pair of dragonettes in the tank as well. I only have artificial corals because I am trying to keep their colors bright. Cris

I've kept seahorses. Temp should be kept below 76 to avoid vibrio. I've kepte them in a mixed reef with gorgonias, ricordea and softies in a low flow hex. The best place for information on keeping seahorses is www.seahorse.org Here you will find everything on diseases, compatability, nutrition, etc.. Chad has kept seahorses for years. So has Matt Lebrone. Cris is keeping them and breeding them with great success. Good luck!

Just trying to gauge who is keeping them and how?

I have seen many kept in mixed reefs and wondering if the temps are kept at the lower range or???

and if you keep a seahorse only tanks what kind of horses and what temps do you run those at???

I don't currently have any seahorses, but I have ~10 years of experience keeping various types. Actually I kept them in my current tank, with >95% of my current corals (pictures in my TOTM writeup this month <- shameless plug ph34r.gif ).

The only changes I have made to the system since I had the seahorse was to rase temperature from 70-72 (in my opinion, the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT husbandry factor you can provide) and turn my upstream refugium (I had two, now I have one) into a frag tank.

Think of keeping seahorses as "pathogen management." Minimize the speed which bad bugs grow and the introduction of different pathogen types and you will be OK.

If you have never kept seahorses before, I would strongly recommend a species only tank without corals, larger than 30 gallons, and ~72F.

A while back, I detailed my thoughts on seahorse specific setups here. Maybe it'll bore you, but perhaps it won't ;)

I have three seahorses right now and I keep my tank at 75 degrees with corals of all types that are doing great. I've got a birdsnest and Acropora that are doing wonderful along with Acans, mushrooms, assorted softies that are all doing well if not as well as my birdsnest and Acropora are doing.

Yeah that was Lyr when she was little. Unfortunately she passed away about 3 months ago now but that is the favorite picture my wife and I managed to get of her and I still have one of her sons to remember her by. (He's not as pretty though)

hear is a pic of a bby i got at 1 day old from fellow member it is now almost 2 months been working on a 40 breeder for it im hoping to have it in a mixed

post-2633003-13494333248_thumb.jpg

still live brine fresh hatch and some older that have been in green water live tigger pods about 5 to 8 a day not sure it big enough for mysid yet but will be trying soon

question is the lower salt leval better for them years ago i had them in .021 022

That heater can be a real hazard for seahorses. There are digital heaters available that have covers on them so if they wrap around them they wont get burned.

hear is a pic of a bby i got at 1 day old from fellow member it is now almost 2 months been working on a 40 breeder for it im hoping to have it in a mixed

That heater can be a real hazard for seahorses. There are digital heaters available that have covers on them so if they wrap around them they wont get burned.

yep i had about 45 50 to strat with was going good tell heater went i THINK when it went it spiked super hot then quit all togeather lost all but the lil gal in this pick.... going to try froz mysid today and c how that goes and just picked up more lil ones fingers crossed more form this new batch make it so this one has some company soon

What I did in my baby seahorse setup was get one of those screen tank dividers and section off a small part of the tank with one. I kept a HOB filter and the heater in that section, which provided some water flow without having to deal with a sponge to prevent seahorses from being sucked up and kept them away from the heater.

That's a fabulous idea, Matt.

What I did in my baby seahorse setup was get one of those screen tank dividers and section off a small part of the tank with one. I kept a HOB filter and the heater in that section, which provided some water flow without having to deal with a sponge to prevent seahorses from being sucked up and kept them away from the heater.