Scopas Tang

matt bills

I introduced a Scopas tang Sunday night after the lights were off. He came out and eat on monday morning but a saw my yellow tang swimming beside him and tale wipping him. When go home he was not looking good. The fins looked not really great. Clear looking. Turned off the lights and everyone went to bed but have not seen him since. Groan.

Hopefully, he's just in hiding, Matt. I'm sure that he's stressed by the move and the new tank inhabitants. Are the lights on in the tank yet?

adding a new tang to a tank is tricky.

Especially if it's the same body type, yellow and scopas are. Yellow and hippo are not.

Tricks to this include;

add all same body type at same time after preparing for the increased bio load on the tank itself,

adding smaller tangs first, larger tangs second while allowing for bio load schedule.

Adding different body types at separate times,

adjusting some of the "known" hang outs of current tangs to make look different - does not mean rearranging whole tank, just the hang outs.

Most cases include feeding the tank lightly during and or having lights off for awhile before adding BUT having good lighting in the room itself.

With tangs, I find it's also important to allow and prepare for increased bio load right before helps keep them healthy while they adjust.

Feeding foods with freshly grated garlic stimulates them and have been helpful to me.

at the end of the day, it still tricky adding new tangs when some residents have become well established.

btw, scopas tangs are well known to be extremely territorial to begin with or will develop that tendency.

I do not use them or add them last.

Thanks Tom - Fingers crossed. Lights come one 11 am.

Chip the Scopas is smaller then the Yellow I know this was going to happen. I should of never tryed it...

I did add some rocks that andy gave me so the there is a new spot in the tank.

I will try the garlic additive tonight. I usually feed in the morning.

Doug thanks for the text and everyones support. I hate losing fish.

I feel your pain. I added a blue face angel to my tank and the yellow tang followed him around the tank nonstop. The angel would not eat and was always hiding. I removed the yellow tang and put him into my sump and now the angel is eating and swimming around. Yellow tangs seem to be very aggressive towards new additions. You might have to give the yellow tang a timeout like I did. I plan to put the yellow tang back in the DT Saturday.

When I added my CBB, I took some egg grate and made a three sided piece that I hung over the center brace, this distracted the tang and gave the new addition some time to get use to the tank. It also gave the CBB a place to get away because the tang was afraid to come near the egg crate.

They do sell acclimation "in tank" tanks that are great to house new additions for a while for the inhabitants to get used to seeing for a while before releasing.

highly recommended

If your Scopas is still alive, I would recommend taping a piece of sheet mirror on one side of the tank. The yellow will focus its attacks against the glass. This will shift some aggression away from the newcomer. Once the yellow stops attacking its own image, you can remove it. By that time, aggression towards the newcomer will also have subsided.

This is the method I used in the past with much success.

It's worth a try...

-Robert

If your Scopas is still alive, I would recommend taping a piece of sheet mirror on one side of the tank. The yellow will focus its attacks against the glass. This will shift some aggression away from the newcomer. Once the yellow stops attacking its own image, you can remove it. By that time, aggression towards the newcomer will also have subsided.

It's worth a try...

-Robert

Great idea, Robert. Thanks for sharing that one!

They do sell acclimation "in tank" tanks that are great to house new additions for a while for the inhabitants to get used to seeing for a while before releasing.

highly recommended

I bought one of these and have employed it twice. Works as advertised.

It's worth a try...

-Robert

yep it worked for me also