Aluminum Channel size for DIY LED lighting fixture

swffan

If you're using aluminum channel on your LED set up and not a heatsink, what size channel are you using? Any reason you chose that size over another? Are you using a fan on your channel? If you had to do it over again would you use the channel or would you go with a heatsink?

i would just get the heat sink. c channel did not work on my in hood all in one setup even with two fans. it was hot to the touch. with the heatsink from rapid leds i do not feel heat when i touch the heat sink. huge difference.

sorry it didnt work for your application. I've seen a couple that were fine without fans (locally) but neglected to ask the size. I just thought we had some more LED DIY fixtures here. I'd rather use the channel because it's free to me plus I can get longer lengths. The longer heatsinks seem kinda pricey compared to free

... I just thought we had some more LED DIY fixtures here.

I have five DIY fixtures. Three with 66 3W LEDs; one with 24 3W LEDs; and one with 12 3W LEDs. All on heat sinks.

Sean (at F&F) has several in his shop that are built on steel 2x2 framing (available at HD or Lowe's), I believe. I think his fixtures use fans.

Assuming you are using heavy gauge aluminum C channels (such as this 1-5/8" X 1-5/8"), 1 3w emitter per 4" is the general limit before you will get into cooling problems. This is also with the assumption that you are driving them at or around 700mA each. Lastly, depending on the type of emitters used (some are less efficient and will produce more heat at a particular current vs another), you may or may not hit the limit.

If this emitter density (1 per 4") is not enough for your application, you will need to go with active cooling over heatsink.

-Robert