Justin's 29 gal nano sps

ctenophore

I was cleaning this tank the other day and thought that it had been a while since I last photo-documented it. I've had this little 29 gal set up in my son's room since we moved up here in May 07. It has been re-aquascaped at least once, but the sandbed has been alive & running since 07. I think the current aquascape is about 2 years old. I made a framework of branch rock that has a PVC stand and two tunze 6055 nanostreams hidden behind it.

29gal_9_10_12.jpg

I use a CPR hang-on refugium for a filter. It is set up as a cryptic (no light) refugium with a pile of rubble rock and a huge population of copepods, sponges, and tiny featherworms. I put a bag of carbon in there about 2 years ago and never changed it, so there really isn't any chemical filtration. No skimmer on this tank. The key to nutrient uptake is the colony of xenia near the top center. I cut off stalks every few months.

For ca/alk supplementation I use kalk and two part A & B. For a long time I just used kalk but in the last 6-9 months I started doing two-part as the corals have grown too big for just kalk.

Lighting is a DIY LED fixture that was built and raffled off at frag fest I think 2 years ago. It has 12 LEDs, not sure of the wattage. Also added one of those underwater blue LED strips from marineland that were given away for free at MACNA last year. PAR is fairly low, around 110 micromols at the top and 35-40 at the bottom. But interestingly, many SPS are nicely colored.

I feed the corals nightly with powdered coral food, usually reef chili. There is a tubastrea (non photosynthetic) that is doing pretty well despite some missing tissue from when I got it.

I am about to break up a lot of the colonies as they are starting to grow into each other and shade the bottom too much. Hence me wanting to take a picture so I can do a before-and-after comparison. I am going to put a new LED light on as well, hopefully to color up the purple bonsai to full purple.

Thanks guys!

Yes Ashlyn has a 11gal nano, but softies only since it is hers to take care of.

There is Avast equipment- I have the first original prototype digital-out ATO on it. 2 years with zero maintenance. Also an experimental pressurized kalk stirrer. I will take some pics of the equipment later.

• 6 months later...