natural coral colors under LED

zygote2k

I hear so many people now wanting to buy an LED system but they are all complaining that only blue and white combo doesn't look right or that the corals can look washed out.

Here are some pictures that prove otherwise- no post processing adjustments were done with any of these pictures. The corals are under 12) P38 bulbs with 40 and 60 degree optics, all are blu/white mix with the exception of a single bulb which uses 2) red emitters but I can't notice anything with that particular bulb.

gallery_2631654_1111_459900.jpggallery_2631654_1111_937831.jpggallery_2631654_1111_1027715.jpggallery_2631654_1111_593322.jpggallery_2631654_1111_82081.jpggallery_2631654_1111_1474099.jpg

What 'bothers' me about the PAR38 bulbs is the dark vs. light areas in the tank. I have DIY LEDs (blue & white only) in my tank but they provide a consistent spread because they are evenly spaced across two heatsinks. The growth is probably the same but the personal preference of a fully lit tank is better for me.

Great corals !

Really pretty. Are the shadows in the pictures really that stark or is the camera doing that? Seems like the coral that was half in shadow would grow half as much, but yours look uniform.

The led I use only has blue and white too. My chalice color up nicely from them, but i am able control the blues and whites independently, which helps.

What 'bothers' me about the PAR38 bulbs is the dark vs. light areas in the tank. I have DIY LEDs (blue & white only) in my tank but they provide a consistent spread because they are evenly spaced across two heatsinks. The growth is probably the same but the personal preference of a fully lit tank is better for me.

Great corals !

Really pretty. Are the shadows in the pictures really that stark or is the camera doing that? Seems like the coral that was half in shadow would grow half as much, but yours look uniform.

The shadows are apparent because they are more pronounced from the side. Top-down doesn't seem to be shadowy.

Particulates in the water often show the shadow effect too.

The center brace makes a big shadow in the center of the tank where the birdsnest appears blue.

Edited by zygote2k

It's really nice. I think your point is, lots of red/green in this tank with no real red/green lights, which is demonstrated for sure.

Are those anemones reaching for the powerhead in picture 2? Looks like they can almost reach it, heh.

I do love the colors... it shows they are more true to our eyes... though I don't trust my eyes, lol

I think its all personal preference, you can make anything the color you want it with either enough work or enough money, sometimes its just the trial and error that adds up biggrin.gif