DSLR Recommendation

Omair

I'd like to ask some of our more experienced reefing photographers what they would recommend for a good starter DSLR body and lense. I'd like to be able to take close up shots of my aquarium under actinics. On a side note, would it be possible to do this with the iPhone 4 Camera?

I use a Sony A350, but they have a whole line of Alpha DSLRs that are good beginner ones. They all depend on how much you want to spend. The thing I like about Sony is that image stabilization is done in the camera body itself, not in the lens. This makes the lenses slightly cheaper compared to some other brands. Additionally, Sony bought Minolta a while ago and all Minolta lenses will work with a Sony camera. They are older but still work great. And you can usually get them pretty cheap, they may not all have autofocus but some do. I've handled other brands before but to me the body of a Sony camera feels more solid than others.

The Nikon d40 is a solid entry level DSLR, and you could find a used one for a reasonable price. I also like the 35mm f/1.8 lens for fish photos, and it works well for non-fish photos too.

I picked up a used 105mm Sigma lens for macro shots, and it works well enough. It won't autofocus with the d40 body, but that's almost never a factor with corals.

I've had excellent results with old non-DSLR cameras too if you use them correctly. I used to shoot with a Nikon 4400, a vintage 2002 point-and-shoot camera with no exteral lens. So you don't necessarily HAVE to get an expensive DSLR and a bag of lenses.

I don't know how well an iPhone camera will work, but due to the short optical path but I expect the zoom is limited and the shutter is slow. Color rendition may also be a problem.

also look at mirrorless cameras....with interchangeable lens...gives same pq (when compared to entry -low mid level dslr)

but its not as bulky and u can take it around like a point and shoot...they run close to 1k with a couple good lens

It all depends on what you want to do? Are tank photos your only use? As pointed out there are a myriad of options for this, even this iPhone might work.

Do you have other uses in mind? Uses that make the cost worthwhile?

In general terms you start with point & shoot/phone cameras = tiny sensors which means poor dynamic range (ability to capture information) and slow optics (see 1st part as to why). Then you move up to "enthusiast" point & shoots which generally have faster lenses and sometimes a bit larger sensor. Next is medium sized sensors found in many mirrorless cameras & some in the "DSLR" shape - they have a larger sensor which gives a greater dynamic range which equals more capability. From here one moves into the "entry" DSLR (various levels actually) which is APS-C (a compact version of a full 35mm frame) sensor. Once again greater dynamic range & capability. The last step (for general consumers) is full frame, a sensor the same size as 35mm film - greatest dynamic range & overall image quality.

What you might need greatly depends on requirements & budget. Each of the above is in a different price range, & within that there's also a myriad of options. For example something like the D40 Jon mentions (maybe a D60).....can be had pretty cheap used (under $300). Not the latest tech but they work fine. New models like the D3200 are $650.......difference? Better sensors, while a D40 might be noise free up to about ISO 400 & decent to ISO 800........the newer model will be noise free up to ISO 1600 & good up to ISO 3200. That's a huge jump, it allows much greater flexibility.

It all depends on your use - just tank shots? Try the iphone & see what happens.

If you decide you need more......there's http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/51556-fs-nikon-d5000-body-only-250/ :biggrin:

It all depends on what you want to do? Are tank photos your only use? As pointed out there are a myriad of options for this, even this iPhone might work.

Do you have other uses in mind? Uses that make the cost worthwhile?

In general terms you start with point & shoot/phone cameras = tiny sensors which means poor dynamic range (ability to capture information) and slow optics (see 1st part as to why). Then you move up to "enthusiast" point & shoots which generally have faster lenses and sometimes a bit larger sensor. Next is medium sized sensors found in many mirrorless cameras & some in the "DSLR" shape - they have a larger sensor which gives a greater dynamic range which equals more capability. From here one moves into the "entry" DSLR (various levels actually) which is APS-C (a compact version of a full 35mm frame) sensor. Once again greater dynamic range & capability. The last step (for general consumers) is full frame, a sensor the same size as 35mm film - greatest dynamic range & overall image quality.

What you might need greatly depends on requirements & budget. Each of the above is in a different price range, & within that there's also a myriad of options. For example something like the D40 Jon mentions (maybe a D60).....can be had pretty cheap used (under $300). Not the latest tech but they work fine. New models like the D3200 are $650.......difference? Better sensors, while a D40 might be noise free up to about ISO 400 & decent to ISO 800........the newer model will be noise free up to ISO 1600 & good up to ISO 3200. That's a huge jump, it allows much greater flexibility.

It all depends on your use - just tank shots? Try the iphone & see what happens.

If you decide you need more......there's http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/51556-fs-nikon-d5000-body-only-250/ :biggrin:

Great advice here. Listen to Eriik. What's your budget?

(edited)

My budget was approximately 300$, but I'm finding any decent DSLR with a good lense worth it's salt is going to be upwards to 500-600. :(

Edited by Omair

My budget was approximately 300$, but I'm finding any decent DSLR with a good lense worth it's salt is going to be upwards to 500-600. :(

First I apologize to anyone reading if this post is Nikon centric, it's the brand I know :biggrin: I'm quite sure most applies to Canon etc.

Well that is a tight budget....but it can be done. Used is a good option, places like KEH, Adorama, and B&H Photo sell used gear. The D5100 I recently purchased was my 1st new body......the previous 3 were all used & refurbs - I have a budget. Just because it's a couple cycles behind doesn't make it "poor". I still miss my D40x - gave me gorgeous .jpgs right out of the camera. I need other features so I moved on but there's nothing wrong with a bit dated.

You can get a refurb'd D3000 @ B&H for $250 & an 18-55 for $100 (or $95 @ KEH)......a bit over budget but close AND one could certainly find a cheaper body.

...........but........

We get back do you need a DSLR? Other uses, as you mention they ain't cheap. Give you an example, I have 3 cameras (not including the FS D5000). The DSLR is for ultimate image quality & when I need speed (grandkids don't stay still much). I have an Panny LX5 (high end point & shoot) for when I need real good image quality but I have to travel light. The third is for underwater use, a Pentax Optio W90 - snorkeling & days at the beach.

Point is they all match my needs, like lenses on a DSLR - no point in a long telephoto if you're doing landscapes (well in general anyway).........or a wide angle for birding.

Remember there's also software.......you can pretty much change an image to be anything these days. Three minutes in Lightroom - I wasn't there so I have no idea what it really looked like...........

(and yes I could further remove the blue cast, point is to show change)

There is a fair bit of noise in the picture but that's to be expected with such a small sensor - they work fine in bright light.....not so much in low light.

7868314394_c026db4229_c-2.jpg