Need some advice from people with Radion LED

miggs76

I have the Radion over my 60 gallon cube. It is a recently set up tank (a little over 3 months). Just wondering what you guys/gals have your settings at. I am running 8 hours natural at 75%, then 4 hours of blue moonlight at 20%. I have been slowly increasing intensity for the last 1.5 months. I have been raising it about 3-4% every 2 weeks. I'm looking for advice from people who have seen nice coral growth using their radion. It is a mixed reef but since it is so new I didn't load up on many coral yet. Thanks in advance.

I have the Radion over my 60 gallon cube. It is a recently set up tank (a little over 3 months). Just wondering what you guys/gals have your settings at. I am running 8 hours natural at 75%, then 4 hours of blue moonlight at 20%. I have been slowly increasing intensity for the last 1.5 months. I have been raising it about 3-4% every 2 weeks. I'm looking for advice from people who have seen nice coral growth using their radion. It is a mixed reef but since it is so new I didn't load up on many coral yet. Thanks in advance.

Many WAMAS members have them. I was out and about in Dublin today, sorry. :)

From what I've been reading here and on RC, and from my experience with them, there is no "one size fits all" answer on the radions (or any LEDs for that matter). It really depends on what your growing, the size of the tank, and the height of the radions from the water. Many folks run them on natural mode and are doing quite well. Others, myself included, prefer artificial mode b/c the highest intensity light period can be longer than in natural mode, where it's brief. Artificial is ideal for SPS. So if you're going with softies/lps - natural is fine. If you are going heavy sps, you'll probably want artificial mode. As for intensity, I've seen some tanks doing well at 60%, and others, like mine, at 100% intensity. You are doing the right thing by slowly adjusting yours. Keep doing that and watch your corals. You will learn what they like or don't like visually. Then you can settle in on the ideal intensity. If they are doing fine at 75%, growing nicely, have good colors, etc, then I'd leave it there. If you want to try artificial mode, 14k is my preference b/c it uses 100% of all 5 radion color channels. But many folks like 20k. Just pick whichever one your eyes prefer, and run that X amount of time that you like. (length depends on what corals you have again. I've seen anywhere from 6-12 hour photo periods that other folks have).