DC-8 mounted under or outside of the stand?

steveoutlaw

I'm currently getting all of my wires together and setting up my controller. I want to minimize rusting on the DC-8. I have an open stand and was wondering if it would make any difference if the DC-8 is mounted underneath the stand where the sump is, or mounted outstide of the stand. I'm thinking it will get more air flow if mounted outside the stand. Does it really matter?

Yes. I would mount as much of your electrical stuff as possible outside of the stand and away from the tank if possible. The humid salty air near the tank will always be a problem. Some people build a box to put it in, others find ways to remote it. I secured mine to the back of my stand with what I call a drip shield (piece of wood mounted above it).

Unless you have an separate area under the cabinet that is closed off to "wet" areas, I completely agree with the above... outside the stand.

Electronics and humid, salty air just don't get along well.

Steve,

you have all that room to the left side of your tank(looking from office side), why not make a tower for all your electronic stuff.

Just make sure it's not in the path of water overflowing the rim. Would be better to have salt spray inside than direct water as overflow. Probably best on a separate structure or the wall.

Steve-

I suggest you get a NEMA enclosure and mount all the DC8's inside. Use a 1.5" bulkhead and a grommet to make the box watertight. USing this method, you can mount it inside the cabinet with zero worries about salt and electricity mixing.