Bringing salinity up

Mike Mann

From 1.010 to 1.025 in one day is too fast. I brought mine up from 1.010 to 1.026 over several days. 2-3 ppm's per day, give or take. This is what worked safely for me. I don't know the "rule".

I usually bring it up at the rate of evaporation. That means I replace evaporated water with salt water instead of fresh. The lazy way to do that is to put in extra salt water so your freshwater ATO doesn't kick off for a while.

What Jan said sounds about right.

What disturbs me is that stores don't automatically tell people what their salinity level is without being asked.

Good point, Forrest. That's why I check SG of water for all new fish.

What Jan said sounds about right.

What disturbs me is that stores don't automatically tell people what their salinity level is without being asked.

Edited by Jan

I went from 1.000 to 1.025 in four hours with 6 Lyretail Mollies with zero adverse reactions.

I guess this means that you can raise or lower salinity faster or slower depending on the inhabitants.

Too fast. The fish might "look" ok, but it's not like we can take their vital signs to find out if they really are. I'm sure they experienced some amount of stress.