Tank Running But a Few Questions

amitwaru

Hi all,

I am a teacher at Springbrook High and received a wonderful 55 gallon tank with 4 clown fish, three fire shrimp, a few snails and a plethora of hermit crabs. There is some live rock but mostly plastic plants. I received it close to the end of school so it has been set up at my house over the summer. I have learned a lot and have been maintaining it pretty well.

Ok so here are the questions: I have a ton of bristle worms and from what I have read they are good to have but I feel like there are too many. They come out of the rocks and rock bed when I feed the fish. Is this ok or should I look into getting rid of some?

One of the fire shrimp had a ton of eggs the other day and now they are gone so I'm assuming the fish had a midnight snack. Not really a question, just a comment.

Can I put in a few more fish? The person who had the tank maintained it this way nicely for two years, I don't want to mess it up by trying to add. Any thoughts?

I would also like to get some live plant, recommendations?

Thanks so much for any thoughts or words or wisdom.

Amy

Hi all,

I am a teacher at Springbrook High and received a wonderful 55 gallon tank with 4 clown fish, three fire shrimp, a few snails and a plethora of hermit crabs. There is some live rock but mostly plastic plants. I received it close to the end of school so it has been set up at my house over the summer. I have learned a lot and have been maintaining it pretty well.

Ok so here are the questions: I have a ton of bristle worms and from what I have read they are good to have but I feel like there are too many. They come out of the rocks and rock bed when I feed the fish. Is this ok or should I look into getting rid of some?

One of the fire shrimp had a ton of eggs the other day and now they are gone so I'm assuming the fish had a midnight snack. Not really a question, just a comment.

Can I put in a few more fish? The person who had the tank maintained it this way nicely for two years, I don't want to mess it up by trying to add. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any thoughts or words or wisdom.

Amy

I always let them be. You can pull them out if you want but as long as their is food they will reproduce. Great scavengers and will clean up the food the fish dont get.

Yep a little snack or got sucked into a power head or something.

How long have you had it set up at the school? If your parameters are all in check I would say you are good. You can post the fish you are interested in and we can help you with the compatibility and order.

Never had live marine plants. I'm sure someone will chime in about this.

How long have you had it set up at the school? If your parameters are all in check I would say you are good.

The system has been up and running since June 7th. My pH remains at 7.8 doesn't seem to want to move to 8, nitrites are 0, ammonia is pretty close to 0, and nitrates are about 30, but I have been doing small partial water changes to get that back down.

I would really love to get a Goby, Mandarin, and a star fish or two.

Thanks so much for your input.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Especially if this is a school tank and this is the off season. When school starts up, are you going to have the time to maintain it if things go awry?

What are you checking the pH with? I have been using the API saltwater testing kit that came with the tank. What is the alkalinity level? SPG is 1.022 Have you added any buffer at all? No I havent used any buffer yet.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good point

Especially if this is a school tank and this is the off season. When school starts up, are you going to have the time to maintain it if things go awry? Well, yes, Ill take the time. The point of getting the school tank was so that the kids can learn how to maintain a tank. I teach high school and this will be a honors Marine Bio class. So they will end doing most of the work.

I'd say leave the inhabitant level where it us for now until the tank is settled at the school for a while. You can get away with one or two more small fish.

As for the pH, don't stress about it. It will go up and down during the day and day by day. Here's a trick for your class to play with...(might not work as well in a school)

1. Measure the pH of the tank

2. Open a window for 45 minutes or so.

3. Measure the pH again. Assuming it works like in a house, the pH will go up. Has to do with oxygen exchange and such. Origami would be able to talk more about the whys of this I'm sure.

I'd say leave the inhabitant level where it us for now until the tank is settled at the school for a while. You can get away with one or two more small fish.

As for the pH, don't stress about it. It will go up and down during the day and day by day. Here's a trick for your class to play with...(might not work as well in a school)

1. Measure the pH of the tank

2. Open a window for 45 minutes or so.

3. Measure the pH again. Assuming it works like in a house, the pH will go up. Has to do with oxygen exchange and such. Origami would be able to talk more about the whys of this I'm sure.

Thanks! :o) Really good warm up for the kids!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're getting readings for ammonia after a couple of months that's not a good sign. It should be undetectable after just 30 days or so, so I'm guessing you do not have sufficient biological filtration. How much rock do you have? I'd pull the plastic plants and replace with live rock and if you want Maine plants or algae I'd go with some dragon's breath. It's easy and not very light demanding.

Can you post up more info on the tank along with a picture? That would help in making recommendations.