when to add cleaner crew

stankyd

I am about to add salt, sand and rock to a brand new tank and start my cycle. When would you suggest adding a cleaning crew and when would you suggest adding chaeto?

Neither the sand or rock are live at this time.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I am about to do the same thing, and I am planning on letting the tank cycle for about 2 months before anything goes in it. I plan on letting the tank do its cycle and then when I know there is no more ammonia or other nasties in it, then i will start with the cleaning crew. I will however be doing water changes and running the skimmer to help get the gunk out.

You need to let the tank cycle

Ie when there is no trace ammounts of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the water column

Then and only then when all tests 0 u can get a few chromies to test the water

If the fish do ok then your water is ready for others, but go slow with fish and corals, too fast and u could crash the system and have to start over

After a few weeks u can start to add cleaners to the system

Hope this helps

So as far as snails etc. should i wait for the cycle to end or wait until I begin to see algae (food source). I am afraid to add them too early and h

have them die off due to lack of food.

Dave

So as far as snails etc. should i wait for the cycle to end or wait until I begin to see algae (food source).

Yes, wait until the cycle is over or else they will die from the ammonia and just add to your cycle. You are also correct in holding off until you have something for them to eat.