Jeff's Nano!

jaddc

Everything is still the same as my 10/6 post. With the exception of one thing -- I'm now dosing kalk.

My coral depletes the calcium and carbonate very quickly. So now I mix 60 ml of kalk with 180 ml vinegar and dilute that to 5 gallons with RO/DI and use that for top-off water. It doesn't solve the problem, but it lessens the depletion. Since I started that, my acros have had a small but noticeable growth spurt.

Tank is still doing great. Still have not shot an update video.

My next thing is that I am going to pull the bag of carbon|GFO this weekend. At that point, I'll have only mechanical filtration to clear the water in between water changes.

• 1 month later...

How do you keep it mixed in the ATO container? I noticed that when I make Kalk, the powder tends to collect at the bottom of the container.

That is correct. The clear liquid should be saturated. You don't want to dose the cloudy stuff, for many reasons.

--

Warren

Very nice tank! The Go-Pro video was cool. It's not everyday that we get an in-tank video tour of somebody's tank.

Very nice tank! The Go-Pro video was cool. It's not everyday that we get an in-tank video tour of somebody's tank.

Thanks! I really need to do an update -- my corals have been growing like crazy!

That is correct. The clear liquid should be saturated. You don't want to dose the cloudy stuff, for many reasons.

--

Warren

Yes, exactly. I have my dosing pump elevated so that it only draws from the clear liquid. When I refill the container, I turn off the ATO for a few hours to let the excess kalk settle out.

sweet, i been manually dosing vodka when i feed the fish. i may start doing it your way and add the vodka and a little kalk in the ato container.

(edited)

You probably won't get enough of a vodka dose using the ATO only -- unless your ATO was like 75% vodka. I have some vinegar in mine, but not enough to affect my N's and P's. 

Edited by jaddc

sweet, i been manually dosing vodka when i feed the fish. i may start doing it your way and add the vodka and a little kalk in the ato container.

I would not advise vodka and kalk together, but vinegar and kalk is a match made in heaven. Vodka dosing in an ATO is probably hard to get accurate since it is so potent compared to vinegar for C.

Also keep in mind that it will likely wreck havoc on the pump unless it is a peristaltic.

--

Warren