Mangroves

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

Now the TRT is out, where are you shopping? Wallys and Roozens are the next closest to me but I am not a big fan of either...I am looking to buy a couple of mangroves.

Guest clownfish4

Actually they are full out trees. Some people use them for nutrient export, but I want them to grow ariel roots and out of water foilage.

Guest goblinshark

i got mine off the beach in Big Pine Key florida, which may be illegal, so i shouldnt be telling you this...

Guest clownfish4

That doesn't really help me...and hopefully nobody here works for the conservation society! :D

Guest alex wlazlak

im pretty sure dr.foster and smith have some? nevermind, i see you dont wanna buy ofline..

Edited by alex wlazlak

You might as well buy them online. There aren't really any places that will sell them. You can get them fairly cheap online and since the majority of them do not acclimate well since the farms (from what I understand) mostly raise them in freshwater you're better off getting more than one. Every time I have gotten them, I usually have a 30% survival rate. That said, if you wash them off each day they supposedly do better. Kind of like the dew forming on them. As far as getting them off the beach, I think that mangroves are protected species, but if you find them on the beach, no one is going to say anything. When they wash up, they get churned up and buried by the tractors along with the sargassum weed, sponges, gorgonians, and anything else that washes up on Florida beaches. Once it's there, it's garbage. I think they'd have an issue, though, if you were in a mangrove swamp pulling out mangroves instead of picking the spikes up on the beach. I wouldn't fly with them, though, in case you get caught. Once a year I go down to Florida and if the season is right, I pick up mangrove spikes on the beach. If I go down again and manage to get some back that survive, I'll let you know, but it won't be for a few months at earliest.

By the way, as far as nutrient export, I've heard they are not nearly as effective as macroalgaes. Also, as far as root growth so it looks like a root forest, I've never grown one out far enough where it looked like that. My friend has one in a refugium that I set up probably close to 4 or 5 years ago (left it in Chicago when I moved) and it still doesn't have the root system. Of course, there are also 3 different types of mangroves and they all look different...

Guest clownfish4

I have been reading Anthony Calfos books and internet articles and have taken in a lot of information on these guys. Of course it will take quite some time for them to grow, but I think it will be fun and interesting. As far as collecting, I believe you are right davelin. It is illegal to uproot them but not to collect the fallen spikes. I will probably order 5 or so in the next group order.