Carbon and GFO

bcoop78

is it Ill-advised to run both in the same reactor? I have an MR-5 running solely carbon currently, and would hate to have to buy another when it still has so much room left. Thanks!

Yes. GFO is much harder than carbon. In a fluidized reactor, the carbon will break down and enter your tank. Carbon dust has been implicated in head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) disease. If you do this, you need to separate one from the other (maybe with a sponge) so that they're not tumbling together.

(edited)

The main problem is they need to be changed at different times. Carbon more often. I change my carbon monthly, and GFO every 2 months. GFO is expensive. If you change it every month w/ the carbon, that will get expensive.

Have you seen the BRS dual reactor in the WTS forum for $40? That's a really good deal w/ the MJ1200 pump included. (Less than a single MR5 would cost you).

Edited by Ryan S

For those of us who have a "nano" tank or smaller, then yes you can combine GFO and carbon in the same reactor. I have a BRS single reactor and I have my carbon at the top that is held in place with a sponge. My GFO is on the bottom and is allowed to churn. I can replace the GFO without disturbing my carbon. The space is limited so there may not be enough space for the amount of GFO and carbon that is called for in larger tanks.

The dual reactor (mentioned by Ryan above) is a common choice. Allowing you to run GFO and carbon off of one supply pump.

Another option is that you can mix the the solid GFO and carbon in a roughly 50:50 ratio. This prevents GFO clumping, but you will waste more carbon that way.

You may find this useful:

If you prevent the GFO and carbon from tumbling together (as in the video), then they can be easily mixed. If fluidized, you should separate the two.

I ran the two in the same reactor years ago. In that case, I ran GFO on the bottom of the reactor and separated it from the carbon (which was at the top of my reactor) with a sponge. This gave me ready access to the carbon (which depletes faster) since my reactor opened from the top and allowed me to change it out more frequently and independently of the GFO which was at the bottom of the reactor.