dead clam

Mike Mann

...gotta give more information.

What size is your tank?

What kind of lights are you running and how far from the surface of the water?

What are your water parameters (now and historically)?

What else is in the tank? (this includes both intentionally introduced items such as coral AND unintentional items such as GHA, bubble algae, cyano, etc)

How big is the clam ?

Do you feed it? If so, how (target? water column with the pumps off? etc)? Also what do you feed it?

Is there anything else going on out of the ordinary in the tank? pH/alk/Ca spikes etc? Did you lose power in the outage?

High probability it was lighting. Croceas are very light-demanding. A clam that gets a little too little light will look great for months, or even a year, and then abruptly kick the bucket

...gotta give more information.

What size is your tank?

210 gallon

What kind of lights are you running and how far from the surface of the water?

3 MH 1 250 in center and 150 on each end. they are 6" above water and tank is 27" deep clam was on the sand bed

What are your water parameters (now and historically)?

Po4 was too high but other than that great this tank is the best prams stay the same its great i tested the day before yesterday but ill test again tonight.

What else is in the tank? (this includes both intentionally introduced items such as coral AND unintentional items such as GHA, bubble algae, cyano, etc)

2 cleaner shrimp and b&w clown pair, salfin and a foxface. just your basic softys nothing special. one large staghorn. no algae but i am having a small aptisa outbreak i have a CBB on the way.

How big is the clam ?

clam was about 3-4"

Do you feed it? If so, how (target? water column with the pumps off? etc)? Also what do you feed it?

no didnt feed

Is there anything else going on out of the ordinary in the tank? pH/alk/Ca spikes etc? Did you lose power in the outage?

nothing other than last week he tipped over or something tipped him over but he wasnt tipped long

High probability it was lighting. Croceas are very light-demanding. A clam that gets a little too little light will look great for months, or even a year, and then abruptly kick the bucket

This is crazy ive never heard that. so your saying nothin would appear to be wrong and it could die over night?

How did the mantle look just before it died, any size or color changes? When they need more light the flesh will extend out much more then normal to catch more light. Have you ever checked it for pyramid snails?

Sounds like something was injured on the clam. Crocea clams bore into the rock they sit on and eventually will be completely engulfed in the rock as they bore into it with enzymes and movement and then grow into the spot they are in, essentially becoming a part of the rock. When we put them into our tanks it's often a temptation to place them where we can see them best rather than where they belong. If it was tipping over, it was not comfortable as it had no byssal threads attaching it to anything of substance. Did it have any rubble on the bottom of its byssal gland? I would guess that it had an injury that eventually overcame it if it had no attachment. I also agree that it was probably light starved - they are one of the more demanding as far as light is concerned. I think that it was large enough to survive without any supplemental feedings as once they are beyond 2-3" they are big enough, but the lighting you had was probably insufficient based on where you had the clam located and the height of the average 210.

ok i understand. the clam was on the botttom sitting on the sand bed thats why he wasnt attached and why he was tipped over. so as i take it that was the wrong place to have him? i had o clue he didnt have enough light i mean he lasted 7 months in my tank and seemed very happy. Do they grow very slowly? he seemed fine but never grew in my tank his mantle always came out the same distance but did change color from purple to blue and purple and tan in the center.

The only way you can tell if a clam is healthy is too look for a margin of new white shell. If you don't see any new growth it is dying. Clams either grow or die. It is really that simple. Marinescene has some bpnice Derasas. They are one of the most tolerate clams with light. They also like sitting on the sand.

so now im looking to get a new clam what do you guys suggest i could get another crocea and put him high in the tank. i want a clam the will grow fairly large. so which clam will grow the largest in a home aquarium and which clam grows the fastest? (just so i know)

If you want a BIG clam, I am thinking about getting rid of my 14" Squamosa. He is a monster! And needs a bigger tank.

I have seen this clam. It's gorgeous - and ginormous!! :eek: