1" bulkhead to 1.1/2" pipe HELP!

BowieReefer84

(edited)

Can anyone link the part/fitting that will let me switch a 1" bulkhead to 1.1/2" pipe both glue in and threaded?

I can't seem to find this. Not even during a trip to Lowes...

If you see it on BRS or Marine Depot that would be great.

It should look like this (in my mind):

1.1/2" pipe

fitting going from 1.1/2" to 1"

1"pipe

1" bulkhead

OR

1.1/2" pipe with a fitting straight to a 1" bulkhead would be even better.

Thanks

Edited by BowieReefer84

I had to do that for my overflow. I used several pieces i got from home depot and lowe's to make it work. 1" threaded bulkhead, then a 1" threaded male to 1" slip female, then a small 1" pvc piece; then a 1":1.5" slip adapter. something like that. then the durso 1.5" just pushes into the adapter and i can pull it out (didnt cement there).

If it matters this is for the open channel in a full siphon "beananimal" overflow.

If you think 1" plumbing would be ok for the open channel with a low flow sump, and 1" siphon tuned with a gate valve let me know.

I don't want to create unnecessary extra work.

Thanks

I want something like this, BUT in sched 40 rather than 80. Also, if it would have threads on the outside of the 1" side to screw into a 1" bulkhead would be ideal. I hate searching for pvc parts.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/plumbing-sumps-drill-bits-overflows-uniseals/schedule-80-plumbing-fittings-and-valves/sch-80-couplers/schedule-80-reducing-slip-coupler-1-1-2-x-1.html

I don't know about threaded, I think the threads on the bulkheads are a weird pitch, but slip fit should be easy to find. If it is a 1.5" BH then just get a 1.5" to 1" coupler. Maybe I'm missing something?

<1.5" BH slip fit (female)> <(male) piece of 1.5" PVC (male)> <(female) 1.5" to 1" coupler (female)> <(male) 1" PVC (male)>

I don't know about threaded, I think the threads on the bulkheads are a weird pitch, but slip fit should be easy to find. If it is a 1.5" BH then just get a 1.5" to 1" coupler. Maybe I'm missing something?

<1.5" BH slip fit (female)> <(male) piece of 1.5" PVC (male)> <(female) 1.5" to 1" coupler (female)> <(male) 1" PVC (male)>

I found this

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Couples-Reducing

1.5 by 1 reducing bell for $1.89

I guess this would work. It would be better if I could go straight into a 1" bulkhead with it NOT having to put a section of 1" pipe and another fitting... o well

Coupler, reducer same thing. That's going to be your best option and the smallest number of parts. Unless you find flex pvc or something that 1.5" OD with 1".

(edited)

So you just used that then a really small piece of 1" pipe?

yes. i have a photo of it:

gallery_2631706_3_323256.jpg

1" bulkhead; then 1" pvc; then 1":1.5" reducer; then 1.5" pvc. i had to use a couple different things, which is why mine looks a little more complicated.

Edited by Ryan S

Thanks Ryan. Such a big help.

You should get a piece of sticky black vinyl to cover that up. It would look much better, and could be easily removed. I have extra from doing the back of my new tank. Shoot me a PM if you want it. Looks to be 26"x 5" or so?

not a bad idea, but i like being able to see inside there, in case anything falls in the overflow or when i am cleaning that section out during a water change bc it gets pretty nasty down there.

PS: i highly highly recommend the 1.5" slip strainer i got. it was expensive, like $15, but keeps fish/snails/etc out of your overflow, which, as you know, can lead to a clog/system failure/overflow.

gallery_2631706_10_37925.jpg

(edited)

it's referred to as a bushing.

threaded:

http://www.lowes.com..._sales_dollar|1

slip:

http://www.lowes.com..._sales_dollar|1

-colin

*edit

p.s. - when you're switching between threaded/slip over the course of a single section of piping, it would behoove you to have a few slipxMPT, slipxFPT, FPTxMPT adpaters around for making the transitions.

Your set up will likely be:

Threaded bulkhead -> MPTxslip adapter -> small section of pipe -> bushing -> larger pipe

hope this helps

Edited by wogga

Colin, that's what I did. You can see the bushings in the first photo I posted. I used a couple of those. It was a pain buying all the pieces and getting the darn thing correct though. As Mike initially was asking for, if anyone knew of a single piece to make the conversion happen, I don't know of one, but would definitely have bought one if I did. It would speed up the whole process and simplify it immensely!

oh. yeah you can't go from Xdiameter threaded to Ydiameter slip with only a single fitting. Not that i know of atleast.

oh. yeah you can't go from Xdiameter threaded to Ydiameter slip with only a single fitting. Not that i know of atleast.

Yea... it would be nice if you could though! haha

one thing to consider if you're crunched for space - most slipxMPT adapters can be cut slightly. The MPT end usually doesn't (or doesn't need to) thread all the way in. You might be able to cut 3-4 thread-lengths off of the MPT section. Check your components and do a dry fit to see what chaff (as it were) can be removed.

<br />one thing to consider if you're crunched for space - most slipxMPT adapters can be cut slightly. The MPT end usually doesn't (or doesn't need to) thread all the way in. You might be able to cut 3-4 thread-lengths off of the MPT section. Check your components and do a dry fit to see what chaff (as it were) can be removed.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yea. It should be OK. Just a couple extra parts. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2