Question about making a DIY sump

nbgen12

I am trying to make a bubble trap before the return chamber of the sump, but how to you guys get the silicon down between the baffles?? Any simple item to help squeeze the stuff down there?

I put a big glob of it 1/8" to where it needs to be on the sump tank, then I put a bead on the baffle. Then slide it into the sump pushing the silicon the 1/8" to its location. Not sure if this makes sense to you.

I get what your saying I think...does that not smear silicon on the tank and possibly get it messy?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone used a mcdonalds straw or anything like that to direct the silicon directly to the spot?

The way that I've done it is as follows.

1. I start by using a marker to draw lines on the outside of the tank - both sides - where baffles will be located. Mark the full height of the baffle on both sides.
  2. Then, starting with the baffle-location closest to the end of the tank, I squeeze out a bead of aquarium silicone on both sides of the tank pretty much right over the lines.
  3. Then, I take the baffle and press it up against the two beads, aligning it with the lines which cue me to location and height. Give it a little push to set it up firmly against the silicone along the entire edge of the baffle. At this point, you have a baffle locked in place by the thick silicone, but the silicone's only on one side.
  4. Next, I run another bead on the other side of the baffle between the tank glass and the baffle. If you want, you can run your finger up against this bead to smooth it out. The baffle is now secured on both sides.
  5. Now, repeat the process above from #2 for the remaining baffles.

So, for three baffles, it would go something like this:

Draw your lines.

Lay down a couple of leading edge beads for the first baffle.

Press in the first baffle.

Lay down a couple of trailing edge beads for the first baffle.

Lay down a couple of leading edge beads for the second baffle.

Press in the first second.

Lay down a couple of trailing edge beads for the second baffle.

Lay down a couple of leading edge beads for the third baffle.

Press in the third baffle.

Lay down a couple of trailing edge beads for the third baffle.

Let dry.

Done.

Thanks for the info!

My next question is....where can I get the glass cut to size around the Vienna/McLean/Tysons area? Vienna Glass isn't in business any longer and I'm not sure of any other places around here.

I actually started a thread with your question in the public general interest forum...I would post the link but im on my phone. The thread is less than a week old so it shouldn't be buried too.far down.

Try Sterling Glass, in Sterling. They are just south of Rt 7 on Cascades Pwky. But you can use 1/8" acryllic for baffles. Just don't be stingy w/ the silicon so it holds strong.

when I did my baffles, I just used lots of tape for a clean finish and to hold the baffle in place while I siliconed it in. I also started with the center baffle because I was putting the baffles more or less in the center of the sump. But similar to Origami's process, marking the outside is critical and try to make sure the lines are || and plumb. Once I got the center baffle done, I let it dry for an hour and then started on the two outside baffles. But only siliconed the outside of the outer baffles. Then once it had a chance to set (about an hour) I put a huge goup of the silicone on my finger and just ran it down the inside of the baffles. It took several goups actually. but once it started to harden, I pulled the tape up and let it finish curing. After a couple of days it was ready to go after a quick rinse from the hose and then drying it out with some paper towels.

My finished product. Key to sucess: Lots and lots of tape.

IMG_0210.JPG

use a lot of tape.

I wish I had used tape for mine....looks like a total mess around the bubble trap on mine.