Interceptor replacement

Coral Hind

So I have one interceptor pill left and I had to think, do I give it to the dog or save it to QT corals. I went to order more and it turns out there is a big shortage of it as novartis seems to have stopped production. So I was wondering, is there another med on the market that works just as well at killing acropora red bugs?

The letter from Novartis I found on the web:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/novartis-halts-popular-pet-medications.jsp

Why dont you save that last pill and get a different one for the dog...since you wont be able to get more anyway you'll need to switch his script....

That's a good idea, thanks. Hopefully they start production back up soon. I still think there has to be another pill that works for red bugs.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll give that a try on new corals going into QT.

I've been using the Bayer method for over 1.5 years now - and I've been contributing to that thread on RC for some time now. I have been using 4mls per liter of tank water per treatment. DO NOT use it as an in-tank treatment. That would be very bad.

I dip at 4 mls per liter for 15 minutes with an air stone, then I rinse the coral in a fresh bath of tank water, then place back in the tank. This dip will kill off red bugs and AEFW (I have confirmed this) and will probably knock off monti nudis (but I have no experience with this). Anything else on the coral or rock that gets placed in the dip (hermit crab, snail, small sea stars, bristle works, etc., etc.) will be a gonner too.

The ONLY coral that I have found that does not take well to this dip - and I have dipped dozens and dozens of species - is Leishman's red table, A. hyacinthus. The tissue sloughs off right after treatment. For that coral, I use Ivermectin at 2 mls per 10 Liters for 6 hours. This will also kill red bugs, but I don't know about AEFW or monti nudis.

For both of these treatments, I dip once for three or four consecutive weeks before calling a coral "clean."

For an in-tank treatment, interceptor is still your only method at this point, but I'm almost convinced that I am now seeing Interceptor-resistant red bugs. They made it through several treatments before I got them with Ivermectin.

Cheers

Mike

I've been using the Bayer method for over 1.5 years now - and I've been contributing to that thread on RC for some time now. I have been using 4mls per liter of tank water per treatment. DO NOT use it as an in-tank treatment. That would be very bad.

I dip at 4 mls per liter for 15 minutes with an air stone, then I rinse the coral in a fresh bath of tank water, then place back in the tank. This dip will kill off red bugs and AEFW (I have confirmed this) and will probably knock off monti nudis (but I have no experience with this). Anything else on the coral or rock that gets placed in the dip (hermit crab, snail, small sea stars, bristle works, etc., etc.) will be a gonner too.

The ONLY coral that I have found that does not take well to this dip - and I have dipped dozens and dozens of species - is Leishman's red table, A. hyacinthus. The tissue sloughs off right after treatment. For that coral, I use Ivermectin at 2 mls per 10 Liters for 6 hours. This will also kill red bugs, but I don't know about AEFW or monti nudis.

For both of these treatments, I dip once for three or four consecutive weeks before calling a coral "clean."

For an in-tank treatment, interceptor is still your only method at this point, but I'm almost convinced that I am now seeing Interceptor-resistant red bugs. They made it through several treatments before I got them with Ivermectin.

Cheers

Mike

Just curious, how much Ivermectin and what form did you use. We have horses and can get Ivermectin in paste form.

(edited)

Here's my Ivermectin write-up here:

Ivermectin

I use the 1% Ivermectin solution. The injectable solution is MUCH easier to use. You can buy it on 1800petmeds without a prescription.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

• 7 months later...

Injectable Ivermectin can also be found locally at Tractor Supply Company.

Bayer insecticide can be found at Home Depot.

Revive works without any corals bailing.......30mn kills everything no need to use bayer in my exp.

I prefer a 15min dip then quar......but will do a 30min dip if no separate quarantine available.

No reason not to use revive over any dip thats out there that i can think of.

Edited by basser9