Hello Everyone

Hi everyone! My name is Donnie. I'm new to the saltwater game and don't know too much but I know I'm hooked! I have had fresh water aquariums for twenty years and bred and raised Discus and angel fish for a couple of years. I jumped into this head on after seeing some reef setups without alot of knowledge. I found a guy getting rid of a 120g setup full of corals and a couple of fish for a great price.(He needed money!) He was only 14 miles from my house so I called in a couple of favors from my friends and my wife and we moved it in one day. What a chore! I lost one coral and one fish. I've had a few ups and downs but all in all it is doing great. Some corals seem to be thriving while others are so so. I'll post pictures as soon as I get time, hay season is here and I have a little 7 acre farmett to take care of plus a full time job. now here's where I could use some suggestions. i found I was limited to the fish I could have because of the corals. I have two hippo tangs, one yellow tang, two clowns and a green chromise but I want more! I found a great deal on a 220g tank with stand and filters and I'm going to set it up for fish only with live rock. Here's the problem it is not drilled and I'm leary of drilling it because of not knowing whether it's tempered or not. I was looking at those CPR overflows and thinking of building a wet dry with sump. Are those overflows a big hassle? will they flood if the power goes out? although my electricity is only off for 20 seconds because of my standby generator witch by the way was something I got to make sure I didn,t lose fish. The tank came with a Fluval FX5 and a large cascade filter, would these filters be sufficient for a fish only set up? I have it up and running and they seem to move a lot of water. I put in 210lbs of rock this weekend and am hoping to start stocking it in three weeks or so. That FX5 seems to be a awesome filter and if I could get away without the sump I'll put a hang on protien skimmer on it and go1 Thanks for your time folks and I hope to hear from you guys that I'm sure know more about this then me

Welcome to WAMAS. I have been a member for over a year and have really enjoyed it. You'll receive lots of help fromt he folks here. Just a note, update your profile with your approximate location so folks will know where you are.

To your questions, of which I only have positions on a few...I am a pro-sump, pro-drilled-type overflow tank builder. There is lots of reference to the success of hang-on back filters, protein skimmers, etc., but your got some big tanks and in my opinion you're gonna need some big flow.

One of the best parts about WAMAS, however, is the variety of experience; so you'll probably hear from a bunch of us. Good luck.

Welcome,

That's a big tank! IMO, lose the FX5 and build or buy a sump/refugium and put live rock or rubble in it instead. invest in a good protein skimmer. I have good results and experience on HOB overflow. But drilled type overflow is better. Also, don't rush into stocking yet. Take your time and do some research. best of luck. Happy reefing!

Welcome, I have a CPR overflow on my 90 if you'd like to stop by and see it.

HOB stuff works, but a sump is a whole lot nicer!!!

I have to say I havent seen or heard of a good HOB skimmer for that large of a tank... and I personally like the advantages of the extra water and pump possibilities with a sump... If not youre going to have a tank with ALOT of powerheads for movement....

Welcome, I have a CPR overflow on my 90 if you'd like to stop by and see it.

HOB stuff works, but a sump is a whole lot nicer!!!

Thanks for the invite surf&turf! If I get down that way I would love to see it. Have you had any issues with it? noise, gurgling, flooding?

I just noticed your in Capon Bridge surf&turf, maybe I can swing by and see your setup

I have to say I havent seen or heard of a good HOB skimmer for that large of a tank... and I personally like the advantages of the extra water and pump possibilities with a sump... If not youre going to have a tank with ALOT of powerheads for movement....

Smallreef I did find a coralife that can hob or go in a sump that's rated to 220gls. I,m putting power heads in the tank anyway for movement. I think I'm going to go with the CPR overflow and build a sump anyway

The overflows shouldn't flood if the power goes out, but they are not as reliable as a drilled tank with internal overflow. If you can, that is the way to go.

I would ditch the wet dry and just go with a protein skimmer. I would also ditch the canister filter. About the skimmer, those ratings are lies and such a skimmer is really a waste of money for that tank. There simply isn't a HOB skimmer that is suitable for that big of a tank. An in-sump or external skimmer is the way to go.

The overflows shouldn't flood if the power goes out, but they are not as reliable as a drilled tank with internal overflow. If you can, that is the way to go.

I would ditch the wet dry and just go with a protein skimmer. I would also ditch the canister filter. About the skimmer, those ratings are lies and such a skimmer is really a waste of money for that tank. There simply isn't a HOB skimmer that is suitable for that big of a tank. An in-sump or external skimmer is the way to go.

I just noticed your in Capon Bridge surf&turf, maybe I can swing by and see your setup

Just let me know, the CPR overflow has been bullet proof so far, two years running.

Just let me know, the CPR overflow has been bullet proof so far, two years running.

Good to know, ordering one tonight

Get the aqua-lifter pump too, easiest way to run one.

Thanks!

Get the aqua-lifter pump too, easiest way to run one.

I understand the pump,but doesn't it also pump some water out of the overflow?

I understand the pump,but doesn't it also pump some water out of the overflow?

It pulls the air bubbles out of the overflow, so it doesn't loss siphon. The pump has an intake and output, you put the output in the bulkhead part of the overflow.