Need ID this fish

Alieu07

Does anyone know this fish? If so what kind and is it reef safe? He is big approx 4" with a big mouth :biggrin:

427.jpg

Thank you.

Looks a little long for a hawkfish, my first thought was those little ones you see in temperate tanks. Though honestly I have no idea.

Very neat though! Where'd you find him?

(edited)

Looks like some kind of goby, jaw fish or blenny to me.

Edited by Jan

This fish is a sandperch of the genus Parapercus... probably Parapercis schauinslandi but tough to tell... do you know its origin?

Copps

This fish is a sandperch of the genus Parapercus... probably Parapercis schauinslandi but tough to tell... do you know its origin?

Copps

Yeah this is what i thought sandperch. But never see one b4. So is it reef safe(Corals,sm fish,shrimp,snail,crab etc...)

He is still in the QT tank.

They are not common in the aquarium trade and I have no experience with them... they are very intelligent and voracious feeders with habits similar to hawkfish... I'd imagine they pose the same risks hawkfish do to shrimp... and will feed on anything they can fit in their mouth... other than that it should be a good fish...

Share your experience if you do throw it in your reef.

Copps

I actually had one of these in the past. Granted the one I had was MUCH smaller than that. I bought it from House of Tropicals not knowing what it was. Very cool fish. I didn't realize they got to 4". I thought it was a goby...

They are not common in the aquarium trade and I have no experience with them... they are very intelligent and voracious feeders with habits similar to hawkfish... I'd imagine they pose the same risks hawkfish do to shrimp... and will feed on anything they can fit in their mouth... other than that it should be a good fish...

Share your experience if you do throw it in your reef.

Copps

I searched looks like a redspotted sandperch. I have couple shrimp in my DT that's why i am worry. It is a very cool fish to look at.

I searched looks like a redspotted sandperch. I have couple shrimp in my DT that's why i am worry. It is a very cool fish to look at.

Yes this is the common name of the latin species name I gave above.

(edited)

Nevermind. I posted red striped perch. Interesting, when I do a search for red spotted perch I get red stripe pics. Is it also called red stripe perch? Confusing. Nice looking fish whatever it is. Enjoy!

Jan, You search redspotted sandperch and will see a pic just like him but not much detail.

Edited by Jan

Nevermind. I posted red striped perch. Interesting, when I do a search for red spotted perch I get red stripe pics. Is it also called red stripe perch? Confusing. Nice looking fish whatever it is. Enjoy!

Exactly why I use Latin names... no confusion!:)

You're the expert. Of course you use the Latin names. I'm just a lowly reefer layperson. What do I know from Parapercus', Pterophyllums and Chondrichthyes :why: ?

Exactly why I use Latin names... no confusion!:)

You don't need to be an expert to use Latin names... if you find or reference a photo or fish like you did above you can use the Latin name if it is there... entering this into Google will yield better and more honed results than common names. And my wife calls me a lowly reefer all the time! :tongue: