Suggestions for Small External Pump?

Hilary

So I've decided to upgrade the 5.5 gallon glass temperate tank to a 10 gallon (ish) heavy acrylic with a closed loop so I can better control the temp. I'm not that familiar with external pumps, and looking for suggestions for something small for a 10 gallon.

I think I have a MJ600 (160 gph), in-tank of course, split to three returns in the 5.5 gallon and that's just about perfect for that tank. Not sure how to translate that up to a 10 gallon with a single return?

(edited)

I have always loved the Pan world pumps for reliability and low heat transfer. They make them as small as 480 gph. If your budget allows it, an elegant choice would be the new low voltage, ultra- controllable Tunze Silence Electronic Recirculation Pump 1073.05. It is controllable as a power head and uses very little power. It has to be quiet and cool- running. Plus you can back it up with a 12 v battery. Pricey though.

Edited by OldReefer

An Eheim 1048 is rated at 158 gph. I used Eheims for years on my calcium reactor with no problems. The Eheim is 10W and your MJ600 is only 8, but all 8W of the MJ600 goes into the tank. Only some of an external pump's heat is absorbed by the water.

I think your idea to move from a submerged pump to a closed loop is a good one, but when you build the plumbing for the closed loop, I would plan ahead and make it easily upgradeable to a chiller using the same closed loop pump.

I think your idea to move from a submerged pump to a closed loop is a good one, but when you build the plumbing for the closed loop, I would plan ahead and make it easily upgradeable to a chiller using the same closed loop pump.

That is actually exactly what I'm doing on this build since I won the chiller at the last meeting. :biggrin: Guess I should have included that info.

An Eheim 1048 is rated at 158 gph. I used Eheims for years on my calcium reactor with no problems. The Eheim is 10W and your MJ600 is only 8, but all 8W of the MJ600 goes into the tank. Only some of an external pump's heat is absorbed by the water.

Nope, all magnetically coupled pumps are water cooled. Internal or external is the same, no difference.

You could use a Hydor Seltz L20, Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5, or Maxi-Jet 900 Utility Pump (Eden)..........

Depends on requirements.

Nope, all magnetically coupled pumps are water cooled. Internal or external is the same, no difference.

You could use a Hydor Seltz L20, Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5, or Maxi-Jet 900 Utility Pump (Eden)..........

Depends on requirements.

I agree that water cooled pumps transfer some heat into the water, but whether the pump is submerged can make a difference on how much the pump heats the tank. A submerged pump transfers all of it's energy into heating the water. An external pump transfers some of it's heat into the water; but what doesn't heat the water is transfered to the air around the pump. This is evidenced when you touch the casing of an external pump and notice it's warm or even hot.

look at the smaller waterblaster pumps as well, if there is any head pressure they handle it a little better than the tunze's...

otherwise ehiems are hard to beat for long distance running, Maxijets are nice cause of price,

I'd be looking at the eheim pumps and get whichever one has teh flow you want. I know the small ones will run external because that's what is on my ca rx.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Price is definitely a factor, though I do want one that will run without issues. Another question - do most of you keep your external pumps in some sort of container (like a small tank or tub) in case of leaks? It's going on a wood floor. Any problems with overheating if in a container?

I didn't .... until it leaked. Now I have it in a container and I'm going to move it above the sump in a drip tray to drain to teh sump in case it ever does it again.

I agree that water cooled pumps transfer some heat into the water, but whether the pump is submerged can make a difference on how much the pump heats the tank. .............

Nope, not in any measureable way. They are water cooled, that's how they work. 10 heater, 10w pump - same, same.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Price is definitely a factor, though I do want one that will run without issues. Another question - do most of you keep your external pumps in some sort of container (like a small tank or tub) in case of leaks? It's going on a wood floor. Any problems with overheating if in a container?

Used Hydor Seltz for a few years, never leaked. Never had an Eheim leak. Maxi-jets (not the Eden version) seem to always end up leaking. Never used a Sicce external.

Won't hurt them a bit to run in a container - they are water cooled, stick 'em in a blanket won't hurt them a bit. They can fail but that's due to poor windings/build - proper pump will work just fine.

I have a Sica 0.5 pump if your intrested in trying it?

I have a Sica 0.5 pump if your intrested in trying it?

I may very well take you up on that - thanks! NAGA is making the tank for me, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to give it a test run. :tongue: