Fazio92's 330gal Rimless Reef Display

Beautiful work, Anthony! Are you planning to keep the back glass clean? Looks great like that.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the plan, but we'll see as it progresses :) (want to design a super magnet scraper that I can use through the wall to clean the glass or an extension arm that I can attach to my Hammerhead Magnet to reach at least 4-5ft to reach behind the tank? That would really help! :biggrin: )

Anthony - will you be incorporating LED actinics to bring out the color of your corals? or just stick with MH?

MH all the way, Radiums specifically for pop. I thought about LEDs (for supplementation) and played around with a few different types, but for the look I'm after they weren't feasible to just throw-in right now. I may add them later using par38 as recessed lights in the ceiling. Again, my goal was to have a clean setup and adding more fixtures strays away from that goal. Plus, the radiums have never failed me :)

Just curious but are you going to be able to run the 400's without a chiller on this tank?

Luckily, no :) My sump sits directly on the foundation and that seems to keep the tank at a constant temp ~78 through passive cooling. I like to run my tanks around 82-83 and am having a hard time keeping it up (running 3 x 300w heaters). My old tank only had 1 x 400w halide (~200gal system) and I had to run a chiller almost 24/7. Just shows how powerful running a tank in a basement and sump directly on the foundation can have on maintaining a constant temp (like a wine cellar). I do have a chiller just in case, but have yet to hook it up as it's not needed right now.

-Anthony

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Awesome tank.

Question about your heaters. What brand are you using? I am surprised you are running three. Is that for redundancy or because of your natural cooling setup?

That is a sick set up, I do not see a center brace. How safe is that?

That's the beauty of a rimless tank design. Note the 3/4" glass thickness!

When I move up to a 200 plus gallon tank this is what I want it to look like.

Wow, Awesome tank.

Question about your heaters. What brand are you using? I am surprised you are running three. Is that for redundancy or because of your natural cooling setup?

They are all Marineland 300w heaters used mainly to offset the natural cooling. Still haven't had the system spike over 81 degrees, so i'de say that's pretty good considering the ambient temp in the room is 75.

Great looking setup!

Where did you get the rock veneer for the front? I love that look.

I did a lot of searching and I actually found the exact type I wanted on craigslist, from someone's leftover project. Otherwise, I was going to have to purchase this particular rock through a custom stone/siding company.

Thanks again to everyone for all the complements!

-Anthony

We want more pics!!!

LOL. Honestly, it looks exactly the same as the last pics. I haven't touched it since I set it up since I took out all the fish to be QT'd, but come July1 all the fish will go back in! I haven't even had time to add sand or even any new coral. Don't worry i'll post some pics soon :)

• 1 month later...

Been fairly busy with work the past few months, but here are some updated pics of the tank from yesterday. Just need to start repopulating with SPS and throw in the clowns :)

-Anthony

Dawn FTS:

330galDawn_7-28-2012.jpg

Dawn Angle:

330galDawnSide_7-28-2012.jpg

Full Day FTS:

330galFullDayFTS_7-27-2012.jpg

Survival Coral:

330galcoral.jpg

Sump Room:

SumpRoom_7-27-2012.jpg

Future Display Inhabitants:

PlatinumsandPicassosnem.jpg

PlatinumandPicasso330gal.jpg

U gonna stay bare bottom? Or add sand?

On the fence right now... We'll see :)

-Anthony

Everything looks happy and healthy. The sump looks kindo of full, that must get scary close to the top when the pumps are off.

Actually, the sump only rises about 2-3" leaving me ~5-6" when full. If it did somehow ever overflow there is a floor drain right in front of it :) (though I hope it never gets to that point)

Anthony,

Now I am jealous! A floor drain! That is the most single useful thing a reefer can have in a sump room.

I don't know if you ever picked up this Anthony Calfo trick for water changes. You put a bulkhead in your sump exactly at the water level next to the skimmer side of the pump where the dirty water comes back from the tank. You the put a valve on it, and a line that goes to the floor drain.

When you are ready for a water change you just open up the valve and pump the new salt water into the sump right by your return pump inlet. That water goes up into your display. Your sump level will rise and, the dirty water on waste side of your sump flows out the bulkhead and down the drain. It is a simple pleasure, but you can only do it if the water level of your sump is above your drain.

Anthony,

Now I am jealous! A floor drain! That is the most single useful thing a reefer can have in a sump room.

I don't know if you ever picked up this Anthony Calfo trick for water changes. You put a bulkhead in your sump exactly at the water level next to the skimmer side of the pump where the dirty water comes back from the tank. You the put a valve on it, and a line that goes to the floor drain.

When you are ready for a water change you just open up the valve and pump the new salt water into the sump right by your return pump inlet. That water goes up into your display. Your sump level will rise and, the dirty water on waste side of your sump flows out the bulkhead and down the drain. It is a simple pleasure, but you can only do it if the water level of your sump is above your drain.

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, my sump isn't divided into chambers like most, but is more like a giant refugium/sump divided by live rock, etc. and everything is fed off the main pump through a manifold. So, I don't think i would be able to do exactly that. However, I do utilize the floor drains for water changes, running a hose directly into the drain, then flip a switch and refill with NSW :) I actually just got lucky with the sump placement as that drain is one of 2 that were already installed :)

• 1 month later...

Finally got most of the clowns moved over from the grow-out tanks to the display, still a few more to add :)

-Anthony

Video:

th_platinumsclowns330galvid_zps6091f066.jpg

Pics:

clowns330gal_2_zps1a48304a.jpg

clowns330gal_1_zps0cb0fde9.jpg

clowns330gal_3_zps10826857.jpg