ich?

Mike Mann

Does this look like ich? ive never had it before but they are tiny white dots starting to form on its head and body. My temp in my tank dropped from 79 to 71 last night my heater broke thats the only thing thats changed and i noticed this on my PBT today.

post-2633150-133307003553_thumb.jpg

It does look like ich...and PBTs are very susceptible to ich..

Quarantine if u can or feed well with garlic...turn on a uv sterilizer

I think Ryan had luck with rid ich or similar product...

Is it running itself or something...

Loos like ich. However the tank temp dropping yesterday and seeing the spots today is too quick. The spots form towards the end of the life cycle when they are about to pop and the crypt drops to the substrate to reproduce. Just feed well and keep you water params in check.

Looks like ich to me. The "Ich Attack" I got from Petco didn't work for me in the end. But several reviews online said it worked for them, so who knows. Might be worth another shot. Welcome to the PBT with ich club. It sucks. I have a tank full of fish with ich right now myself. Sucks without a QT tank.

dammit! is there anything i can do to keep the others from getting it? no other fish has those spots.

Only removing the PBT to a QT tank right away?

will/can it kill the fish?

Yes.

2. When water temperature drops, mucous coating is often reduced or lost in marine fishes, that is why sometimes MI becomes visible on the body of the fish after a sudden drop in temperature. This meant, however, that the disease was present and living in the aquarium, infecting fish without the aquarist having been aware of it.

The ich is already in the tank so trying to catch the fish that has it will most likely stress out the other fish and they will get it. With Ich you have to go all or nothing. Either remove all the fish and treat them for 12 weeks and leave the display fallow for 12 weeks or leave them all in there and try to provide the best water quality and make sure they all have plenty to eat.

I always go for leaving the fish in the display, increasing water changes and feed well w/ vitamin enriched food. Also, while eliminating whatever might have been stressing the fish in the first place (stray voltage, temp issues, poor water quality, bully fish, etc.)

The ich is already in the tank so trying to catch the fish that has it will most likely stress out the other fish and they will get it. With Ich you have to go all or nothing. Either remove all the fish and treat them for 12 weeks and leave the display fallow for 12 weeks or leave them all in there and try to provide the best water quality and make sure they all have plenty to eat.

I always go for leaving the fish in the display, increasing water changes and feed well w/ vitamin enriched food. Also, while eliminating whatever might have been stressing the fish in the first place (stray voltage, temp issues, poor water quality, bully fish, etc.)

thanks for your help and its a 210g tank catching all my fish would be a nightmare so i am going to leave them in there and hope for the best thanks

thanks for your help and its a 210g tank catching all my fish would be a nightmare so i am going to leave them in there and hope for the best thanks

good luck mike. like steve has said, feed them well, and do water changes. *fingers crossed for you*

I purchased a long nosed yellow butterfly recently - came down with ich 3 wks later in the display tank. pulled just him out into Q, treated with Cu for a long time (~ 6 wks) and fed the other fish in the DT garlic. All fish in the DT beat the ich, I guess with him out they had less stress, and put the butterfly in my tank at work where he is doing fine ich-free. putting just the infected fish in Q worked for me - obviously others have had varying experiences. I have no doubt if the DT gets stressed ich will re-appear, but I probably would have said that before I purchased the butterfly - I tend to have the opinion ich is opportunistic and nearly always present.

best of luck - David

Just noticed my tang has a white patch on I guess where the forehead of the fish is..its not a spot..more like a patch like he scraped his head on a rock or something...

Havent been able to take a decent picture, but it doesnt look anywhere near the OP picture of his tang.

Is it the start of ich?? or something else altogether..

There are no other spots on the fish.

I cant remember if the patch has always been there or just appeared.

(Yes I know pictures would be helpful)

Im so stressed out now! the ich is back( spots showing) and now my brown and yellow tang have it this time! i tried this new reef safe bullflop that takes fifteen days dosing every other day and its not working so far. i have been soaking there food in garlic but dam no change. i just dunno know what to do!

Are any of you guys with ich using UV? Have you thought about it???

I am. But it's my understanding that UV only kills a certain stage of it? I don't think it kills the eggs or the parasite once in the tank?

Im so stressed out now! the ich is back( spots showing) and now my brown and yellow tang have it this time! i tried this new reef safe bullflop that takes fifteen days dosing every other day and its not working so far. i have been soaking there food in garlic but dam no change. i just dunno know what to do!

I didn't have any luck with that stuff either. Snake oil.

yea it only kills the free swimming stage... once ich attaches to a fish it makes the fish the carrier from what I understand and the UV cant do anything for that...

im so screwed its slowly spreading now four fish have it. all 3 of my tangs and my blenny are showing spots and wont come out durning the day. they all eat except my powder brown.