Mushroom coral not looking so hot

Tink

I received a few of those turquoise/blue mushrooms from a buddy of mine a few weeks ago, and all was well for the first couple weeks. Starting about a week ago I've noticed that my mushrooms aren't looking so well, and not opening nearly 1/4 as much as they were. The picture is of the one who looks the worst in the bunch, also happens to be the largest. The tank has only inverts at this point, and nothing new has been added in that time frame. I've also noticed that not all of my GSP are opening as well, even though about 3/4 of the colony still does. I've done a 30% water change as of 2 days ago, and still no luck. Here are my parameters:

Temp: 80

pH: 8.1

KH: 9dKH

NO4: between 2-5ppm

PO4: .03

C: 500

Mg: 1350

Lighting : 4 x 39W T5HO about 24" off the sand

I know the calcium is high, but for whatever reason that's what I've been getting out of my batch of Seachem Reef Salt. I haven't added carbon yet, but that was my last idea. Any ideas or insight folks? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

gallery_2631597_948_21950.jpg

Edited by Tink

I wouldn't think the calcium would cause that. Could they be getting to much light compared to where they came from? Sometimes hermits crawling over them can cause them close up but they shouldn't stay closed.

I was thinking maybe the light too, but then I figured they had been fine for about 2 weeks prior. The shells in the picture are dwarf cerith snails, they seem to like that rock these days. The coral has been this way 24/7 for the past week. The thing that bugs me about them is the mouth on the mushroom seems swollen and bleached, as opposed to the tiny little hole it normally is.

What should I let the NO4 and PO4 get up to?

I think you should continue trying to keep it low. You should also work on getting your calcium a little lower. I think they get to much light as mentioned above, I would find a lower light area to keep them in.

Moved them back under a bit of a rock shelf, so we'll see how they like that. As for the calcium, I'm not sure how to lower it, it comes out that high. Any ideas on how to get it down in the ideal range? Thanks

Moved them back under a bit of a rock shelf, so we'll see how they like that. As for the calcium, I'm not sure how to lower it, it comes out that high. Any ideas on how to get it down in the ideal range? Thanks

You could always add some stony corals that would consume the calcium. That sounds like a good excuss to buy something.

You could always add some stony corals that would consume the calcium. That sounds like a good excuss to buy something.

I like the way you think!