An overnight explosion of life!

Novi

I am exactly 2 weeks into my cycle and when I woke up this morning I seen an explosion of life in my tank! I have diatoms all over the sand and rocks along with very small fine green algae hairs. I know its to be expected but it is every where and it has me alittle worried....

Test Parameters:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm

Nitrates: 100ppm

Nitrites: 0.50ppm

Phosphates: 0.42ppm

Alkalinity: 8.3 dKH

Calcium: 440ppm

Magnesium: 1200ppm

Should I continue to just let it ride its cycling course or do you think its time I started to add some kind of GFO?

I am cycling with Microbacter 7 and I have some live rock in my sump (20lbs) so I know I am getting die off from that. My rock in my tank was all Pukani Base rock (100lbs) from BRS that I cycled for 2 weeks with Phosguard.

Let it ride. Keep us posted on your numbers as it's looking like a classic cycle. You're running without lights now, right?

I don't see tank temp or room temperature. This time of year it happens a lot when your furnace or ac are not on (windows open) . So you house/apt can fluctuate instead of keeping a constant level of your thermostat setting. Resulting in tank temperatures rising which can lead to algae breakout. I have seen this happen in my own tank. Compound that with cycling a tank and poof the algae gets going.

Let it ride. Keep us posted on your numbers as it's looking like a classic cycle. You're running without lights now, right?

I have my lights on regular cycle. 11am till 6pm. (2) 12K Photon Cannons and (2) 453nm Blue Photon Cannons.

Protein Skimmer on only during the night right now till I am done dosing the Microbacter which happens to be tomorrow. Tehn I will let it run 24/7

Is there any particular reason that you're running your lights now? Bacteria involved in your cycle don't need light.

Tank temp is a consistent 78.2. Room temp is around 72/74. I am running my lights just because I have them. No particular reason other than that.

You've probably thought of this already, but you can save on electricity and maybe slow any green algae growth if you left the lights off during this time.

Chris, let it ride. My tank did the same at 2 weeks. And I'd leave the lights on too. You want algae to grow right now. It's all normal and part of the cycle process. Besides, all of that green algae will be gone in a day when you add your first tang (at least mine was!) CUC will appreciate having it for food too.

One thought you might want to give is this: Green algae competes for nitrates with the slower-to-grow, but very important anaerobic bacteria that are part of your desired biological filter. In other words, it will slow the development of the biological filtration that you're trying to establish in the cycling process.

Well my Nitrates are thru the roof right now topping out at 100ppm. I am hoping going into this 3rd week, stuff starts to come down and stabilize. Ryan I hear ya about the tangs munchin on algae! Looking forward to the day!

As long as you don't have much in the way of invertebrate life in the tank, the nitrates won't be an issue. Just ride it out. You must have had some pretty good die off from the rock in the sump. Has the ammonia come down to zero yet? What about nitrites?

Tom,

Ammonia is reading 0.25 ppm. Nitrites are around .50ppm and Nitrates are 100ppm. I got all the live rock for the sump from Marine Scene (about 25 lbs) and it was loaded so I had some major die off I am sure.

Chris,

MIght be time to consider a big water change. You could support a nice cycle with half of those nutrients. I surprised the MB7 hasn't kicked in more yet. It knocked my cycle down to a week.

Bill I was planning on doing my 50% water change this upcoming weekend as I will be finishing my 3rd week. Checked this morning and it looks like most of the diatoms on the sand are almost gone now. So weird how that happens!

Anyways I am going to test my levels again tonight and see what if any is starting to drop.

So weird how that happens!

It's pretty amazing how the ecosystem evolves and then stabilizes, isn't it? Right before your eyes....