Stand builder?

russell_wiley

Is there someone locally that builds stands? Or, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a small stand at a good price? I am getting a new tank that is 18"x18"x9", and I can't find a stand at a decent price.

Thanks,

Russ

Guest thefishman65

I can help with the structural part. Doors are another issue. Finding a good door is tough. What are you looking for?

Doors are EASY! find some picture frames in standard sizes that will work and pull out the glass and insert whatever wood you are using to skin the tank :) thats what I did on my stand build and it worked out great...

plus you can find them in alot of sizes or buy cheap framed pictures you like at TJMAXX or some discount closeout for the same idea...

I have a guy who built my stand who lives near me. Does really good work and gets it done fairly quickly. Pm me if you want his info.

As the old saying goes - you can get cheap, and you can get good..............you can't get both :lol2:

There was a local guy who did them, good enough to put Norm to shame....................I can not say he's cheap nor if he still does them. I can say I've seen his work & he's very good.

Doors aren't that complicated, it's a matter of having the right tools................and they ain't cheap.

Doors are EASY! find some picture frames in standard sizes that will work..............

They'll work if they're small and for a while...............there's a reason door's ain't mitered.

18 x18 and there is not a pet store version you can find? I guess, what is your price range? They might be a little on the higher side dollar wise, but so much less hassle than building.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3732+18529&pcatid=18529

You will probably pay around 15-20 per door anyway, then wood, then skinning, then paint/stain, brushes, HASSLE. I guess it is good to play with tools, but to walk out of a store and set up in not time...

I built my own too, spent around $150 on materials without counting the table saw and other equipment I already had.

I've always built my own.

I like my stand to be much taller (and sturdier) than off-the-shelf stands.

Not to mention being able to customize the size for sump, color, etc.

Here is the build thread from the last one I built: LINK

Approximate cost:

Doors were about $50, the sheet of plywood I had cut into all the pieces was about $40, $10 paint, $10 screws, $10 door pulls, $15 2x4s, $5 putty.