fish trap?

tightline

(edited)

what is the best fish trap out there ? how to get unwanted fish out of tank other than total rock removel?

Edited by Coral Hind
merged threads

Here's what worked for me and came from another WAMAS member...

Find out where this fish sleeps at night. At some point in the night, turn on all lights to "stun" the fish. You should then be able to catch him. This worked for both a large blue tang and large foxface.

Best of luck,

Matt

(edited)

lol have caught a few that way but the fish i want is DEEP in the rock base at night ... but thanks for the advice

Edited by tightline

Take a 2 or 3 liter bottle depending on how big the fish is. Cut out the neck to make an opening just big enough for the fish. Punch a hole through plastic near neck and tie a string to it so you can pull the bottle up.

Now here's the special part- put a mag cleaner inside the bottle. Put the bottle by the glass, laying horizontally, and use the outside mag to hold the bottle in place. The idea is to basically have the bottle suspended mid-water sideways. Keep it there for a few days. During feeding time, squirt the food inside the bottle. Eventually (after a few days to a week) the fish will get used to the bottle and learn to eat food out of it. One day, pull the string!

Obviously, the mid-water placement is best for fish that eat mid-water. Bottom feeders should have the bottle on along the bottom. This has worked for me for tangs, copperbands, just about anything. The only thing it hasn't worked for me on is a powder blue tang that is too smart/stupid to go in there to eat.

(edited)

Take a 2 or 3 liter bottle depending on how big the fish is. Cut out the neck to make an opening just big enough for the fish. Punch a hole through plastic near neck and tie a string to it so you can pull the bottle up.

Now here's the special part- put a mag cleaner inside the bottle. Put the bottle by the glass, laying horizontally, and use the outside mag to hold the bottle in place. The idea is to basically have the bottle suspended mid-water sideways. Keep it there for a few days. During feeding time, squirt the food inside the bottle. Eventually (after a few days to a week) the fish will get used to the bottle and learn to eat food out of it. One day, pull the string!

Obviously, the mid-water placement is best for fish that eat mid-water. Bottom feeders should have the bottle on along the bottom. This has worked for me for tangs, copperbands, just about anything. The only thing it hasn't worked for me on is a powder blue tang that is too smart/stupid to go in there to eat.

great idea on the mag never thought of that..... tried cutting bottle top hole then cutting bottle few inches behind that put the top twords the bottom and zip tying the big ends togeather so once the fish enters it gets trapped but only cought the fish i didnt want this way and only placed on the bottom the mag might just work to place it closer to the dang fish i want ....plus i DONT have verry good WATING skills

Edited by tightline

I used four plastic coke bottle traps of various sizes all baited with food in my 29G and caught a blue damsel.

I have used that trick to with great success.

How big is the fish? I've used a small hook and fishing pole to catch my grouper.

I merged your two threads since you had replies to both.