SpanknA's Marineland 27g cube

spankna

My build starts off with a used Marineland 27g cube I picked up off WAMAS. I love cube tanks and the size is perfect for my apartment. This is my second tank, first non AIO. I currently have a BC14 which I am moving away from(anemone is way too big).

4c6866ea-c979-fcdc.jpg

Tank - Marineland 27g cube

Lighting - Marineland 18inch RR led fixture(would like someone to confirm. Came with tank). Looking at AI Sol and Nano as final choice.

Stand/canopy - Modified the factory stand to hold larger sump as well as built a canopy

Sump - Aqueon Proflex Model 1 with 5500k CF fuge light

Skimmer - AquaC Urchin with MJ1200

Plumbing - Glass-Holes Super Nano con Dientes with dual 1/2 locline returns

Return Pump - Danner Mag7(overkill)

Heaters - Dual 50watt Marineland

Powerhead - Vortech MP10ES

Controller - ApexJr with VDM and EB8

Rocks/Sand - Live sand that I kept from original seller. I am thinking about some dry MacroRocks. I hate the look of the rock I have now.

Heres the tank progression:

4c6866ea-c9d2-c6e0.jpg

Building the canopy

4c6866ea-c9eb-519c.jpg

4c6866ea-ca07-6b37.jpg

4c6866ea-ca26-2ed8.jpg

I modified the stand to accept specifically the Proflex Model 1. I really wanted to have a fuge but there isn't many compact sumps with fuges. I originally was going to run a 10g under the tank but that will not fit without hanging out the back. With that said, the original inside width of the stand was 19.75inches. The proflex is 19.875inches. My solution involved removing the 1/2inch side walls of the tank and replacing them with 1/4inch. The original load bearing braces in the corners were also made of 1/2inch plywood. I feel much better with the load being on solid 2x4s now. I dont have many pictures of me during this modification but I can get plenty of the end result.

4c6866ea-cee5-e243.jpg

The 2x4s are screwed into the trim on the outside of the walls to prevent them from leaning and/or shifting weight. The trim was the only solid pieces on the original stand.

4c6866ea-d034-8a3b.jpg

4c6866ea-d08e-f56b.jpg

Plumbing

4c6866ea-d175-f730.jpg

4c6866ea-d183-9a8f.jpg

Plumbed a ball valve over the wall from the return pump/chamber. Allows me to control flow without creating head pressure on the pump. Saw this idea on another WAMAS build. Great idea.

4c6866ea-d250-03b7.jpg

Having dual returns and small spaces everywhere, i had to create my own 1/2inch U bend to get around the return. The thing looks burn now but it didnt always. I had to heat it up a second time after the pipe had cooled and the burning happened instantly. I filled the pipe with fine sand before each bend so the pipe wouldnt collapse on itself. Worked like a charm. Pipe still allows excellent flow through.

4c6866ea-d2d0-27f5.jpg

4c6866ea-d471-d088.jpg

Sump

4c6866ea-d0e4-17ee.jpg

4c6866ea-d10c-1450.jpg

Skimmer

Sits in the return chamber with the Mag7 and it MJ1200. Both pumps sit on a 1/2inch piece of filter sponge to quiet them.

4c6866ea-d4e0-e40b.jpg

Pumps have really quieted up. I dl'd a little app to test. On day one the db level 6inches from the sump was 76db. Today the app read 66db. This number is probably off a few dbs but it shows a trend.

4c6866ea-d9c1-c928.jpg

The tank has been cycling since Tuesday for a grand total of less than 4 days actual run time. Overall I only have only one issue which is the Urchins microbubbles getting into the return and then into the tank. Hopefully when the breakin is complete they will stop. Also, the door and canopy are still being sanded and finished to match stand.

4c6866ea-d769-c0eb.jpg

4c6866ea-da1d-5522.jpg

4c6866ea-da2a-7148.jpg

4c6866ea-da3d-1129.jpg

4c6866ea-dacc-1486.jpg

Can anyone confirm this is a RR? I think the cooling fins are the giveaway for someone how knows.

4c6866ea-db11-c7e9.jpg

Just picked up a little 2.5g as an ATO tank. I have it hooked up to a JBJ ATO but will eventually use the Apex to perform this task.

4c6866ea-5c73-fc8b.jpg

Don't mind the cords, im still testing.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

Edited by spankna

Looking great. I love how compact that sump is. Great use of the space. Too bad you can only fit a 2.5 gal top off tank. Probably going to need to fill it every 3 days or so. Do you plan to hide the pvc in the back? Keep the updates comming. I have a feeling this is going to be a great tank.

I applied a black vinyl background from PETCO to cover the pipes. Used an aquarium glass cleaner to help apply it more smoothly.

4c6866ea-f5d6-23c1.jpg

There are some gaps around the returns and along the top. Thinking about applying another and using this one as a template.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Don't be so hard on the 1watts. My Nanotuners LED kit in the BC only has 1w leds for a total of 18w(6white and 12blue) with no optics. I get crazy SPS growth in the BC. The ML also has far more white LEDs(18white and 3blue) as well as optics. Out of curiousity, I might rent a PAR meter and test it out.

I will say I don't want this fixture long term for my setup but it might do good for someone else. I really wanted some who has seen or has the fixture to confirm it is this:

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=3430

I also just ordered 50lbs of MacroRocks. Its more than I need but I wanted more rock choices for my aquascaping. If anyone is interested in the what I dont use let me know. Should be about 20lbs or more.

MacroRocks arrived today. These things are awesome. I have never seen such porous rocks. Every rock was individually bubble wrapped.

4c6866ea-6aa8-3c48.jpg

4c6866ea-6ac7-fad7.jpg

4c6866ea-6ad4-1408.jpg

4c6866ea-6ae7-ec7f.jpg

4c6866ea-6af6-cad9.jpg

The entire 50lbs.

4c6866ea-6b18-530a.jpg

4c6866ea-6b32-738d.jpg

Ill throw some more pictures up once the water clears up.

I was tired of the standard shelf rock that every lfs has. This is different. I just have to say that I hope my CUC can get in every nook and cranny.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Got the canopy finished tonight. I put it on the tank and now it looks top heavy to me. What is the general consensus?

4c6866ea-9fcd-5e7d.jpg

The tank is coming along quite well. My nitrate hit 50ppm Sunday and has started coming down slowly. Between 25-50ppm now. Cant tell which color on the nitrate chart Im closer too at this point. On a side note, I saw a review for the Red Sea test today from BRS. Their test are really nice. BRS raved at how easy they are to read. They are no Hanna tester but better than my Saliferts from what I saw in the review.

I also started producing skimate for the first time last night. The skimate is a dark greenish/brown liquid. No real solids. With the skimate came far less microbubbles being output from the skimmer. I would say is 80-90% less bubbles reaching the tank.

I also have reduced my light cycle during the cycle. I am able to visibly see bacteria colonies on the rocks. They are yellow in color and quite visible on the white rocks. Remind me of a culture in a petri dish. Most articles I came across said this is common during the tank cycle if the light are on too long but to keep an eye open if they happen to be dinos.

(edited)
Too bad you can only fit a 2.5 gal top off tank. Probably going to need to fill it every 3 days or so.

You are spot on. About a 1/4 of the ATO tank is gone everynight. That gives me 3 days of use before refill. The other quarter is too low for the pump to pick up. Good call.

Edited by spankna

I think its looking really good! It only looks top heavy because you dont have the door on the bottom,, with the rest of the black it should be fine.

Im getting ready to set up my 12g cube and may want to buy the rock you didnt use? (still gonna want to put some live rock in there for beneficial bacteria and all)

I had two shipments arrive Friday. The first shipment was Neomarine salt from Marinedepot. I have read and heard only great things about the salt so I wanted to give it a try. I love Brightwell products so choosing their salt was an easy decision.

4c6866ea-2f57-6103.jpg

Second order was from Reefcleaners. The main reason I made the order was for pods. The pod bag looked like dirty water with (2) 1/2 inch shrimp swimming around. I was expecting to see more creatures swimming but I didnt. They warn you that a 25x microscope is required to see all the pod species. I poured the entire contents of the bag in the fuge.

4c6866ea-3137-9ca8.jpg

Second item I ordered was a porcelin crab. He is tiny. I figured that I would never see him in the DT and if I did my wrasse would probably pick him off so I ended up putting him in the fuge too.

4c6866ea-31bd-4420.jpg

Third item I ordered was a penny macroalgae and the last item was a salifert mag test. Picture below shows red macro and 1/2 shrimp from pod bag in the sump.

4c6866ea-32b2-e51b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its been over a month since I last posted an update and quite alot has happed since. Lets get started.

First off the tank is now stocked. I add 1-2 fish a week till everything was in as well as added a few newcomers. Current stock is:

2 BW clowns

Randals goby

Tribal blenny

6 line wrasse

Chromis

Green Manadarian(thankfully eats frozen food)

Candy cane pistol shrimp

RBTA

4c6866ea-af78-a760.jpg

Second bit of news is my new(new to me) light fixture. I was able to find a 20inch Sunpod here on WAMAS. I love this fixture. Im currently running a XM 20k bulb at the recommendation of a LFS. Day 1 of running, it ran my RBTA halfway back down the tank. Since then, it has got all its color back and opened up twice as big. The pictures my tablet takes are all washed out so I cant do it justice with a picture. Only thing I did do upon getting the Sunpod was install a low rpm fan to move air over the water. I have had no issues with heat but the summer is coming so I am prepping.

4c6866ea-b2f4-b680.jpg

4c6866ea-b3f5-1fd6.jpg

Fan install in the back of the canopy. Also, if you ever use a computer fan, go buy a 5v molex power supply. The fan most likely will have a molex connector anyway. I grabbed one from MicroCenter for less than $10.

Little product review. My Urchin skimmer has been running great for over a month. All microbubbles have stopped and the skimmate is very dark. I am very impressed with the skimmer thus far.

4c6866ea-b75b-642a.jpg

First coral added today. Includes a Green Slimer, Red Planet, and Red Milli. All corals are sitting on a Eshopps frag holder. (More product review) The holder is a little big for my tank and doesn't hold the black plastic plugs ORA uses as they are too thick. Also, the black plastic the holder is made of blocks all light and cause a shadow underneath. I'm really liking the Sea Side Aquatics mini rack as a replacement.

This is a good weekend for updates. I finally got rid of the Biocube in a trade today. I thought I was selling the tank outright but the buyer brought along a huge suprise. A brand new Bubble-Magus dosing pump and stand. Couldn't resist.

4c6866ea-b450-490b.jpg

I also finally got the stand door finished.

4c6866ea-b4b9-2d33.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did a little DIY'ing this weekend. I found a walkthrough here on WAMAS to control a Eheim feeder via an aquacontroller. Simply put when a 12v signal is applied the setup, the feeder performs a single feed.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/blog/13/entry-46-diy-automatic-feeder-for-aquacontroller/

Here's a short little video of my completed unit.