PC vs. MH

phisigs79

Can some tell me what lighting would be better for a 55g tank. i am planning on having sof corals. I am looking at a 250w mh and a 260w pc.

Unless you're planning on keeping SPS corals, clams, etc... I would go with T5 or VHO lighting. PC's actinic bulbs can't match the lumen output of the other two choices. MH might work well if you have the proper fixture that addresses ventilation/cooling. I'm running 48" 4x110W VHO setup on my 60 gal reef, and I'm quite happy. T5 is the newest setup that provides more lumens per Watt. I'm seriously considering going to T5 next time I have to change the bulbs...

-Rob

I have a 55 gallon, and currently have a 4x65 (260) watt PC fixture. I have zoanthids, shrooms, finger leathers, a few montipora digitatas (right up at the top a couple inches from the water line, however), a couple hammers, a torch, a cabbage, a few mini carpet anenomes, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of right now.

They are all doing well. Polyps fully extended every day (once in a while something decides not to come out, but that never lasts long; I'm assuming its more because something irritated it). I have blue/blue zoanthids near the top that have gone from 3 polyps to over 30 in a couple months. I have zoanthids near the bottom (orange and green) that have gone from about 20 polyps to around 40 since I got them at the spring meet.

However, I've decided that I really do want to keep sps (and have ordered MH's, waiting for them to come in), and am going to sell my 260 watt pcs. Was I happy with them? Yes, they provided enough light to allow me to enjoy the corals I do have. If I could do it all over, would I go with pcs? No, I would do MH's. But that might just be the fact that I want sps.

I have a 75 with 2 110w vho's and 2 96w pc's. all softies grew very well under them.

it you want softies you will do realy well with VHO or T-5.

say i could get around the same price for VHO,PC's And MH. the wattage would also be 220w for the VHo, 260 for the pc, and 250 for the MH. Which on is the best for my money and setup i plan on having. As of now i dont plan on does SPF's or claims but for around the same price i think the halides are a better bet in case i change my mind but i want to know what everyone thinks

I have a 75 with 2 110w vho's and 2 96w pc's. all softies grew very well under them.

it you want softies you will do realy well with VHO or  T-5.

34669[/snapback]

i would say it is cost effective to go with the VHO's last longer than pc's. You can get a nice used ballast, i know that got vee has a few he is selling.

Then just get some bulbs.

you can also keep Clams under them. I have a very healthy Maxium clam and know of a bubby who has one that is about 6inches and doing very well under pc's.

My $.02. MH gives a nice shimmering light over the tank, kinda what you see when you look in a pool as the light ripples over the bottom. Some say this looks more natural. It's all a personal preference. I have had PC, VHO, & MH and I prefer MH.

PC will last longer than VHO, as they are designed to output more light for the surface area of the lamp. However, generally speaking, the PC lamps used in the industry are speciality lamps and are more expensive. Furthermore, you will want to replace them well before their rated life span. Anything more than 6-12 months and you're asking for trouble.

You can use normal 40 watt T-12 lamps on a VHO ballast and replace the lamps every 3 months for the cost of a single PC (not sure I would recommend this to a novice though).

Give some thought to where you might be in 1 or 2 years. If you want to keep an anemone, SPS corals, or some clams, you should go straight to MH. Having had nearly every type of lighting available, I'm partial to the doubled ended MH lamps. Now that there's more than 2 type available and you have some choice in color temperature, it's even a better choice IMHO.

-Tom