My tuxedo urchin is dying

Jan

Poor guy is starved. I have no algae in this tank. The coraline algae is on some rocks, but it's very slow growing. I suspect the UV sterilizer is keeping the tank algae free. The urchin is losing all of it's spines and has stopped moving. It isn't dead yet, but there's no way to recoup at this point. I took it out of the tank and I'm placing it in the freezer. It's the best way to euphthanize these critters. It gave me two great years of service. Ate all kinds of algae and was always decorated.

I collect tuxedo urchins like this.

By the way, they also eat lettuce. But not at that point. I used to have an urchin business and they would eat an entire head of lettuce in a couple of days. That was about 30 urchins at a time

TidePool.gif

I had no idea they ate lettuce too.

I love this picture, Paul. It's very classy. Only a New Yorker would collect sea urchins in a tuxedo. Love it!

I collect tuxedo urchins like this.

By the way, they also eat lettuce. But not at that point. I used to have an urchin business and they would eat an entire head of lettuce in a couple of days. That was about 30 urchins at a time

TidePool.gif

Sorry about your tuxedo Jan, sounds like he had a great life though. Now you have a chance to adopt another and spoil it with lettuce! wink.gif