lighting for macros

schenktank

what do most of you use for a light source on your refugiums to grow macroalgae. i have the stock NOFL from the 10 hex over it now but was using a little desk lamp. my algea was starting to look clear on some parts. not sure what kind of macro it is, it floats and is a stringy clump with little leaves and and bubbly lookin guys on it. ive always seen it in lfs's filling up there whole refugium. im not trying to buy anything expensive to keep a clump of grass alive tho

I tried one of the 5100K cfl bulbs built inside a reflector, just grew red algae very well. Went back to the basic CFL, not sure of the color temp, and it does fine. The reflector for my CPR aquafuge uses a 7100K CF bulb and it always grew chaeto well. You could try a normal flourescent fixture, don't know of any reason it wouldn't work.

i think it was just clear from new growth. i just looked at it at 1:00 am and it looked all green again. but i am kinda a noob so i might be sorely mistaken. also a bit tipsy so it might still be clear. no work tomorrow.woohoo :idea:

I always direct people here: http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

Marc Levinson did a very convincing test on the CFL bulbs. I've used the 5100K bulbs that he recommends and I have gotten fantastic growth. I just set up another fuge and ordered 2 of these bulbs and they are growing the chaeto like crazy. I've also used the PC bulbs that come with the CPR refugiums and they have grown it like crazy too. And, to confuse you even more, one of our members uses a MH light for his macro and has to trim it every week.

Clear as mud now????

I think that if you stay aroung the 6500K spectrum you will do ok.

I agree on the CFL 5100k bulb. Never a problem growing Chaeto.

I must have bought the wrong bulb from Home Depot, I wrote down the numbers from Melevsreef to look for it. Do they sell that bulb at HD or Lowes?

I must have bought the wrong bulb from Home Depot, I wrote down the numbers from Melevsreef to look for it. Do they sell that bulb at HD or Lowes?

I looked at both places and could not find that particular bulb. I just went online and ordered it.....$17 shipped for 2 bulbs.

I looked at both places and could not find that particular bulb. I just went online and ordered it.....$17 shipped for 2 bulbs.

Where did you order them from? Cheapest I see is 8.99ea plus shipping