Chaeto

Ryan S

I've never had a tank without a fuge and chaeto before. Do any of you run successful systems without chaeto? I'll be running GFO, will that do the same thing? Should all systems always run chaeto, even if it's a small amount in an eggcrate cage in a corner of a fuge-less sump?

If your running GFO then I don't think you'll need Chaetoa/Fuge. It really depends on how your stocking it. I prefer fuges because I like to keep a nice population of copepods and cyclopeze for different fish.

A must? No, I don't think so.

A very useful method that has many benefits for its relatively small cost and space requirements? Yes.

I wouldn't run a system without a large fuge and macro for a few different reasons:

A macro algae fuge doesn't just remove nitrates and phosphates... but other more trace elements that are needed by nusiance algae, such as iron and heavier metals - things that are not really removed and tend to build up in a system that doesn't have some form of active harvesting.

Running a macro algae fuge on a reverse lighting scheme vastly improves pH stability and oxygen levels in the tank at night adding a stability that is difficult to achieve using other means.

Many types of micro fauna (copepods amphipods, worms, etc.) live in the macro and add both a means of further processing detritus into smaller pieces that can then go on and become coral food, skimmer fodder, or bacteria food. Further, the micro fauna is good to supplement the diets of various fish and corals that we commonly keep.

I highly recommend chaeto in the largest refugium you can fit. I don't run GFO and have no algae issues. Pods are also a great food source that reproduce in a refugium..