I Hate My Skimmer

RubberFrog

I have had this skimmer since November- http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/253996/product.web?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c253996 and I used to love it. About three weeks ago I had to replace the pump under warranty and now I can not get it dialed in. It's either erupting in a volcano of wet foam or the bubbles are an inch too low. It varies through out the day. Sometimes it's overflowing, other times nothing comes out at all. I don't know what happened when I replaced the pump, but I am ready to take this thing to the shooting range!

Mine will erupt if I get the water level to high in my sump.

I also don't have an ATO so the water level drops somewhat thru out the day. I try to set the skimmer at the water levels lowest point.

Make sure the pump is properly sealed into the base. If your losing pressure in the cone it will not create bubbles properly. Also, the first few days the pump might not functions ideally, it might need to be "broken in". Open the gate valve all the way and let the skimmer run full blast for a day, then start dialing it in. You purchased this new pump three weeks ago though, so I'm assuming it should be broken in.

I just purchased a used Reef Octopus XS 160 and I'm very happy with it. It pulled a large amount of gunk from my tank within the first 8 hours of turning it on. Very impressive.

As above all, It could be the water level. Play around with it and find out what water level it likes the most and then probably you might want o invest on ATO so it keeps the level consistent. I have the same issue and it is always coz of the water level or i need to cleanup my pump.

I have it in the return section of my sump, so the water level there is constant. And it worked perfect before the new pump. I'm going to let it run for another week or so and if it still won't work properly I think I'm going to just replace it.

An ATO for sump water level is key. If you don't get a ATO for a water level sensite Skimmer it could ruin your the pump. That is what happened to my TUNZE Skimmer. Many skimmers don't really highlight that the skimmers water level is critical. Buy an ATO and your problems should go away. I like the AVAST ATO with the Toms Aqualifter.

I have it in the return section of my sump, so the water level there is constant. And it worked perfect before the new pump. I'm going to let it run for another week or so and if it still won't work properly I think I'm going to just replace it.

If you want a workhorse of a skimmer i'm selling my MRC MR2 that I ran on the 92gal, rated to 300gal and can also upgrade later on to ?gal. I'll give you a package deal. http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/47736-fs-mrc-skimmer-sump-waste-collector-chiller-850gph-pump/

-Anthony

Since you said your water level is constant, the next thing I would check is the air path to the pump.

When you replaced the pump, did you also replace the venturi tubing and control valve? There coult be a chunk of salt creep in the valve or tubing, causing fluctuating air flow. Is the tubing pinched as it comes off the venturi and heads above the surface of the water? If you have your old tubing, I would put that on and see if it improves things.

I reused the old tubing but I didn't check it for salt creep. I guess that's my next step. The skimmer itself is only 3 months old.

lmao yep im with u but mine is home made works EXelant when it works took LONG time but i think i finally got it licked and yes auto topoff is a lifesaver

Edited by tightline