Are Anemones as annoying as i think?

skipperawe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another interesting note, i find bubble tips to be relatively unattractive compared to a standard tentacle anem. just my opinion

another interesting note, i find bubble tips to be relatively unattractive compared to a standard tentacle anem. just my opinion

What is a "standard" anemone to you? The bubble tip or E. quadricolor is about the most standard and offered anemone out there.

(edited)

I think he is referring to a Haitian Long Tentacle Anemone as "standard"

^^im really not sure of the technical name, but it has long tentacles with no bubbles on the end.

Edited by skipperawe

The tentacle just doesn't stay re-tracted or inflated, they relax outward. No real scientific research on it but some say lighting, available foods, water flow, and other factors cause the bubbles. My experience is that once they are comfortable they will elongate the tentacles, when stressed they will bubble back up.

Just to add to the noise, I have had a pink tipped GBTA for about 4 years now, and it has never moved on its own or split. It found a spot with relatively low flow where it could put its foot into a crack and stayed put. The downside is that it has grown to about 18" across, and has stung a wide radius of destruction with its extended (non-bubbled) tentacles. The clowns are very happy in their mcmansion, though. Keep in mind how big these guys can get.

Came home last night to a cloudy-white tank and sad anemones. My huge rbta detached it's foot and has been roaming around all day (I'm going crazy at work not knowing how it's doing). My smaller is wilty looking but hasn't detached. They both looked like they were expelling waste, though I'm definitely worried about my big guy.

So as a previously happy nem owner... Yes, they are annoying. Yes, you should get your clowns to host something else (imo). I love my nems and wouldn't change that I got them, but the heartbreak they'd cause if they died would be worse than a fish (partly bc they'll take out the rest of the tank!) wacko.gif

well in that case, i guess having a BTA wouldnt be any worse or better than another anemone. thanks for all of the info guys

Not sure, the closest thing I could google was a bacterial bloom. Do nems have spawning events? I'll have to see how everything is tonight and make an executive decision on moving my corals to other tanks if it still looks bad... Not fun.

I didn't do a water change (my water barrel is sitting at hyposalinity levels for my qts) so I just added water from my 90. This is basically a 75g holding tank for my nicest corals, fish and inverts while the 360 is being finished. No real equipment to speak of like Kalk or other reactors. Just my best leds, a powerhead, and a hob filter to keep them happyish though I never meant for it to take this long. I dose 2-part as needed but I haven't in a couple weeks.

Haven't been able to run tests yet, I'll update on that when I get home around 7.

I've seen clowns host in Goniopora...also, yes I love anemones (I have two) but be prepared that they will move. To add to the list of fish-eating anemones, I highly suspect my green BTA of eating three Bangaii cardinals.

YiatzofEden, I'm not sure how cloudy your tank is but it could be a bacteria bloom. Or one might have gotten sucked into the powerhead too. Do either looked chewed up any? If they do spawn the skimmer would go crazy and the tank really smells of sperm. The sperm floats on the surface, nasty stuff! I would check all your parameters.

No, they're too large/heavy to be sucked in... There was bubbly foam on the surface, and the tank smelled "off". Not the normal healthy smell but not bad either. I don't know how to describe how cloudy it was.

No, they're too large/heavy to be sucked in...

Don't hold your breath while you wait for this not to happen.

All anemones are capable of a ride thru a power head if it moves close enough.

Larger older anemones typically don't move as much as smaller younger ones.

snails, clams and of course anemones can release into the column.

Bacteria blooms can also cloud a tank but you would know very soon there after as you have to scoop anything once alive, out of the tank.

I just saw this thread, and have not read it all. Please forgive me if this has already been said.

I have anemones that I put into a crevasse, or cup shaped choral skeleton. They don't move, if placed properly in a tank they can grow happily for a very long time. I have one that has not moved for the past 8-9 months. The other 2-3 months, or in other words...since I put them there. Also if size is a concern. I know that myself, and any other person who splits them is wiling to trade a small one for a larger one. This way you have the ability to enjoy your anemone, with no worry of size. Just be sure to give us one or two weeks to split and heal a new "nem.

If your interested in one, just let me know through pm. I would be glad to split one for you. I send photo updates, and share the entire process. If your interested.

*Edit* I double checked your signature, I have no experience with fluorescent lights. My suggestion would be to try out MH, I would prefer 150W-250W. Mine are under one 175W high, and one 250W mid tank. Depending on your lighting/flow you will need to vary the depth of water between the anemone and the light. I also recommend variable flow. They seem to color up and grow better. In stead of just flattening and getting washed out.

Edited by LanglandJoshua

I guess I should have specified, the heavy anemone just sank to the bottom. The koralia 1400 isn't powerful enough to suck it in.

It's looking like it exploded. Here's the most recent picture:

http://i1135.photobu...01-25205356.jpg

I put it in my acclimation thing, it's got a dying coral smell somewhat like what leathers smell like when they go bad. I've never had a mushroom come back from being like this.

I'm incredibly sad. This was easily the biggest anemone I had ever seen and was red/purple. I still have my nem that I got from Eddi that's red/green (it's not happy either but isn't detached or gaping, just droopy) but they looked stunning together and would be opposite bubbly and stringy right next to each other. This was my clown's anemone and it took up the entire middle of a 75g tank.

Nitrates were high, I couldn't get a good reading as all my tank lights were already off but it was def not 0 (orangish color). I added prime and moved my montis (which were slimed on by the nem) to the 180 to recover in higher flow.

Edit: more pics from today and before http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/Yiatzofeden/Poor%20nem/

Edited by YiatzOfEden

I am kinda lost as how this happened to your anemone?! It looks as if An evil fish activist organization blew it up from within!!! Those "EFAO" s can be vicious! Lol. In addition, clowns do get very aggressive and protective of their home once they host something. My two clows have been hosting a leather coral for a long time now and whenever my hand goes anywhere near their neighborhood, the female bites my hand as if her life depends on it.

Edited by Reefoholic

I just saw this thread, and have not read it all. Please forgive me if this has already been said.

I have anemones that I put into a crevasse, or cup shaped choral skeleton. They don't move, if placed properly in a tank they can grow happily for a very long time. I have one that has not moved for the past 8-9 months. The other 2-3 months, or in other words...since I put them there. Also if size is a concern. I know that myself, and any other person who splits them is wiling to trade a small one for a larger one. This way you have the ability to enjoy your anemone, with no worry of size. Just be sure to give us one or two weeks to split and heal a new "nem.

If your interested in one, just let me know through pm. I would be glad to split one for you. I send photo updates, and share the entire process. If your interested.

*Edit* I double checked your signature, I have no experience with fluorescent lights. My suggestion would be to try out MH, I would prefer 150W-250W. Mine are under one 175W high, and one 250W mid tank. Depending on your lighting/flow you will need to vary the depth of water between the anemone and the light. I also recommend variable flow. They seem to color up and grow better. In stead of just flattening and getting washed out.

thanks for the offer, i may certainly be taking you up on that later. the lights are T5s if it makes a diference