Show me your return manifolds

bravanc

I am in the process of finally doing my plumbing and would like to see some pictures of your manifolds, I have a 220 with dual returns and will be running a skimmer, calcium reactor as well as carbon, gfo, uv and future stuff. What pump or size should I go with? Should i go with two pumps? One for just the returns and one for the accesories? The tank is in the basement so ahead height will be 5.5-6th. What valves are best for this application? I am open to suggestions and or comments. Right now I have 3 pumps to work with but can get what ever I need in what ever configuration I decide to do. So, let's see those pumps and manifold designs

what size are your return lines that will determine the size of your pump/s

schedule 40 pvc can handle the following with minimual pressure loss and noise on the return side of the pump

1" 960 gph

1.5" 2100 gph

2" 3300 gph

hope this helps

Edited by wvreef

Here is a pic of mine. I have a marlin going to the manifold, to the main tank (210), Skimmer, 50 gal frag tank, 20 gal fuge, and i have it dialed back a bit.

tank_build_13.jpg

Also have a barracuda on a closed loop with oceans motions for circulation.

no those are for future additions if i need them. maybe a chiller, one is supposed to be for the calcium reactor. Never hooked it up that way yet. I want to, just have to go from 1in pvc to that small hose. Been like that for over 2 years and i have never turned them.

Rock,

Nice setup your tank and corals look great. Can you show me the other side of your sump and maybe a pic of your CL?

Thx

I know there are others out there with large tanks that have manifolds anyone else want to share?

Check out my tank thread - I've got pictures of everything in there. It's in my signature. I'll try and figure out what page things are on. Mine does not look nearly as nice as Bob's... but it functions very well.

Pages 9, 10, and 16 show my manifolds and how things are set up.

I run a skimmer off the overflow and then run a couple of reactors and have a barracuda running a closed loop through an OM8Way.

Dave,

Just finished reading your build thread, thats a lot of work that you have done and that manifold is a monster! I have a few ideas now but it will have to wait until I get back from travel to get my plumbing and manifold going. thx

Any other WAMAS members want to show their manifold designs?

I didn't put this together. This was DWG's set up. Simple, easy and very neat.

Left side and center

med_gallery_2631914_787_371934.jpg

Center w/sump and UV sterilizer on right

med_gallery_2631914_787_999747.jpg

Return on right

med_gallery_2631914_787_833894.jpg

med_gallery_2631914_787_999747.jpg

Edited by Jan

Jan,

Thanks for the pictures, they say pictures are a thousand words and i probably have a thousand questions but here are only a few. That is a pretty large return pump you must have that dialed back a lot? What all is it feeding? It's hard to see how the uv is hooked up. Thanks again for sharing your design

Ben

It's a Reeflo Super Dart Gold, 4300 GPH. Not dialed back, as far as I know. It's going into my 156.

There's also an extra connection to the right that's capped off in case I want to add anything else; chiller, media reactor. It's a large space. The water goes into the UV from the left overflow and back into the tank on the right just before the pump.

Jan,

Thanks for the pictures, they say pictures are a thousand words and i probably have a thousand questions but here are only a few. That is a pretty large return pump you must have that dialed back a lot? What all is it feeding? It's hard to see how the uv is hooked up. Thanks again for sharing your design

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

ok, finally got around to working on my manifold. Nothing is glued yet so i can change the whole thing if needed. Take a look and let me know if this will work. There is two designs with the manifold, one showing the valves flat so they will not be seen and one showing the valves at an angle, which do you think will be more user friendly. This is just the return side into the tank and i have not finished the side to the sump. Let me what you think, comments and suggestions welcome.

post-982-132910596799_thumb.jpg

post-982-132910598589_thumb.jpg

What about taking that first picture and turning things all the way pointing down instead of just at an angle? Chances are everything you will hook up will be below that manifold (into the sump) and less at an angle off it.

Where's the pump? Hard to comment on the design until the pump and returns are accounted for... Also, make sure you have room for all of the valves if they are turned off. Too close together could become an issue (doesn't look like it will be, but better to make sure than discover later you can't turn something off).

I tried that but the sump slides out for easier maintenance. I was worried about clearance for the fittings at the end of the valves. Here is a picture of the slide

post-982-132913797323_thumb.jpg