Possible large tank set up for my work.

bbyatv

My work is expanding and remodeling our lobby and my self and some others suggested a large tank for the reception area. I can set it up my self from scratch but i do not know if they are going to want to have a empty tank with rock sitting there curing for months. So i was wondering if there was a place that has rock and sand that is cured in tanks and ready to go so that when the systems is set up with in a week or two there could be live stock added. Alternatively if there is a reputable retailer or service provider who does this commercially that is another option. Thanks for any input or ideas. TJ

BRK has a bunch of live rock ready to go and at good prices. Don't know about the sand though.

http://www.blueribbonkoi.com/

Bruce

My work is expanding and remodeling our lobby and my self and some others suggested a large tank for the reception area. I can set it up my self from scratch but i do not know if they are going to want to have a empty tank with rock sitting there curing for months. So i was wondering if there was a place that has rock and sand that is cured in tanks and ready to go so that when the systems is set up with in a week or two there could be live stock added. Alternatively if there is a reputable retailer or service provider who does this commercially that is another option. Thanks for any input or ideas. TJ

Edited by 04svtfoci

blue ribbon has some nice live rock, the shapes are usually very nice, but its lacking in live you'd expect from LR. (ie, Coraline, pods ect..)

and regardless if you get pre cured Lr and sand your still going to have to cycle the tank, stocking before the tank is cycled is the worst thing you can do.

Edited by Dr.eclipse

If you get liverock that is already cured, and possibly jump start with bacteria additive, you won't have to let the tank sit empty. I've switched tanks a couple times with 100% new water without leaving them empty to cycle (used my current rock plus biodigest). f the tank is going to be drilled to have a sump or refugium, you could borrow liverock from yours or other person's own system and put it in the sump or fuge temporarily as a source of bacteria while using non-live or manufactured rock to set up the DT.

Have you thought about curing some L/R and sand in some 50g trash cans while your waiting? you could seed it with some of your own... throw a heater and power head in there that you are going to use in the tank.. (may stick a clamp on light for some lighting) and that way you can cycle everything before, have atleast it cured enough to fill the new tank.. maybe set a few days with 75% new water??

You can also order from Tampa Bay Saltwater which ships their rock in water. This results in some pretty hefty prices as you're paying not only for the weight of the rock, but also for the weight of the water when shipping.

... stocking before the tank is cycled is the worst thing you can do.

can't be ... they did it on TANKED every week .. and if it's on TV, it must be true !

:laugh: :clap: :laugh:

Thanks for the info everyone, i will know in next week or two if they are going to give me the go ahead. If they do i will be going after a min 75gal pref 100+ depending on what they give me to work with price and space wise.

can't be ... they did it on TANKED every week .. and if it's on TV, it must be true !

:laugh: :clap: :laugh:

LOL