Aiptasia X on palys

bshriver

Yes i have, well technically i just use a kalk slurry that i mix up in the old aiptasia X bottle (i think it works the same)

i had success on most...key is to turn off all water movement and let it sit on there for a good 10-15 minutes so the PH swing kills them off.

Not that I'd recommend this approach, but I've tried direct injection with muriatic acid (with success). I've also lasered a few with a 1400 mw laser (not your normal laser pointer, for sure).

Yes i have, well technically i just use a kalk slurry that i mix up in the old aiptasia X bottle (i think it works the same)

i had success on most...key is to turn off all water movement and let it sit on there for a good 10-15 minutes so the PH swing kills them off.

I may try that. Did you boil the slurry too? I used to that on the aiptasia before I got copper bands. Now they are gone from my tank.

The Aiptasia X has something in it that triggers the Aiptasia to ingest it. I was wondering if palys would as well.

Not that I'd recommend this approach, but I've tried direct injection with muriatic acid (with success). I've also lasered a few with a 1400 mw laser (not your normal laser pointer, for sure).

The laser is the alternative I am contemplating. I have two nuisance corals (no aiptasia though) that I would like a better way to control. The palys as I don't like messing with them much. I got sick from vapors off of them once - ses another thread on here somewhere :) )The second is star polyps that keep surviving manual removal and growing back from what is left of their purple mat.

The only drawback to the laser is the potential damage to the fish. It seems like people have not had too much issue with that using the lasers.

I have used it and it worked but I think the kalk paste as Der ABT mentioned worked better.

You are referring to the laser? I know people have used them on star polyps to control them with good success. I think the big paly's would take a lot more lasering to kill.

No boiling here, just put a bunch of kalk in the little bottle, add some RODI and shake really well, when it comes out in saltwater it kinda makes a toothpaste like consistency....real simple...never heard about the aiptasia x inticing eating...aiptasia usually try to eat anythign that touches them

i usually shoot it around the base of them before they close, then tap them with the syringe and cover them once they close.

The laser is the alternative I am contemplating. I have two nuisance corals (no aiptasia though) that I would like a better way to control. The palys as I don't like messing with them much. I got sick from vapors off of them once - ses another thread on here somewhere :) )The second is star polyps that keep surviving manual removal and growing back from what is left of their purple mat.

The only drawback to the laser is the potential damage to the fish. It seems like people have not had too much issue with that using the lasers.

Smartly, the fish avoid the beam. Of course, you need to be careful. That's my biggest concern, really, with this device. While not lethal to you, it can blind you in an instant. In fact, it's reflection can blind you (or somebody near you) in an instant. I keep it and the batteries separated well away from one another, and clear the area when I've used it. I also make sure that I'm very aware of any reflection and where it's headed.

I've cooked palys that are up to a 1/2" across at the oral disk. It's really just that - it cooks them, right there in the water - but you have to guide the focused beam slowly across the target. Because of the toxicity, this approach is only good if you're taking out a handful at a time. Any more than that and I'd prefer another alternative that keeps the waste products out of the tank.

The laser is a line-of-sight device. If you can't get a straight line to the pest, you aren't going to be able to get to it with a laser. So if something is behind a rock, you'll have to turn the rock or find some other way to remove it. With some pests, there will always be one behind a rock, if you know what I mean.

It's a cool "toy" in many ways (I use the term toy very loosely, only to say that it's not a need-to-have) but expensive.

Smartly, the fish avoid the beam. Of course, you need to be careful. That's my biggest concern, really, with this device. While not lethal to you, it can blind you in an instant. In fact, it's reflection can blind you (or somebody near you) in an instant. I keep it and the batteries separated well away from one another, and clear the area when I've used it. I also make sure that I'm very aware of any reflection and where it's headed.

I've cooked palys that are up to a 1/2" across at the oral disk. It's really just that - it cooks them, right there in the water - but you have to guide the focused beam slowly across the target. Because of the toxicity, this approach is only good if you're taking out a handful at a time. Any more than that and I'd prefer another alternative that keeps the waste products out of the tank.

The laser is a line-of-sight device. If you can't get a straight line to the pest, you aren't going to be able to get to it with a laser. So if something is behind a rock, you'll have to turn the rock or find some other way to remove it. With some pests, there will always be one behind a rock, if you know what I mean.

It's a cool "toy" in many ways (I use the term toy very loosely, only to say that it's not a need-to-have) but expensive.

Yep. I have read all of the saety concerns with the lasers. The livestock is the only one that I have yet to read a reliable prevention mechanism. I think some people have made tube for firing the laser in from above the tank to try and contain reflections etc...

The trouble with the Palys is exactly the toxins. If you can't remove the rock they are on and you plan on killing a bunch at once, you will probably lose a coral or two. I have had that happen so I never kill more than a couple when my hands are in the tank. Manual removal works best with a water change and a siphon right where you are killing them/removing them. I was thinking a laser might be an easy way to kill a couple at a time with a reasonable frequency (every other day or somethign) - no getting wet, setup, etc... Presumably the laser burns off some of the palytoxin as well. But since the room needs to be empty of people not wearing eye wear, etc... it is not as easy as pick up the laser and fire away :)