Need Help Drilling a Hole

RubberFrog

My biggest regret is not drilling my tank when I had it all broken down in early November. Since I am still without fish/coral, I am considering partially draining it and drilling it. I would like to drain most of the water, leaving a few inches in the bottom for my CUC.

Can I drill this while the tank is upright? If I drill it from inside the tank, can I run the output from a small pump to the hole saw for lubrication?

I'm in Vienna. Is there anybody close by that has done this before? Would you consider helping me out with this?

I had to drill my tank for the second time when I went from a durso to the herbie method. I had water and rock in my tank, but nothing else. I did exactly what you are considering.

Drained it about half way and drilled. If I remember correctly, I went from the inside out and it was just the same as going outside in.

When you do decide to drill your holes, use a template. Take a piece of plywood and cut out a hole the size of your bit. It will help out so much in the long run when you don't have the bit sliding across the glass. I wish I had done that when i drilled mine.

I did a tank drilling demo at a WAMAS frag fest a few years ago, followed by several members getting to drill a hole or two by themselves. Everyone agreed that it was very simple to do. Just make sure the glass is not tempered, then go for it!

I've drilled my tank upright. Four holes in the back wall for 2 inch bulkheads. It's only necessary that you keep the surface a little wet to lubricate the bit, wash away the glass dust, and to draw away the heat from the grinding action on the glass. The way I did it was to fill up a regular water bottle with water, poking a few holes in the top to make it so I could squeeze water out of it. With my right hand, I operated the drill and with my left, I squirted a little water every few seconds. I was over a concrete floor, so I just let the water run down. You could probably do the same from the inside of the tank and let the water and glass dust (silicon dioxide) flow into the tank (it won't hurt anything).

^ I'm thinking that's what I might do. Maybe lay a cloth in there to catch as much of the "dust" as possible and then throw it out.

One other thing: I duct tape the back side of the glass (opposite the drill), so that the circular glass blank does not drop out and possibly chip or break the tank at the end.

I did a tank drilling demo at a WAMAS frag fest a few years ago, followed by several members getting to drill a hole or two by themselves. Everyone agreed that it was very simple to do. Just make sure the glass is not tempered, then go for it!

OMG, I looked at the video recently, having had no idea that I was standing right there for the whole video. So embarrassing, but at least I wasn't picking my nose. At any rate, that is how I learned to drill a tank, so THANK YOU Bob for teaching me! I really enjoy drilling glass for some reason!

Bob's

And here, Bob

Glass-Holes drilling demo.

Glass Holes instructions for installing their overflow (which includes drilling the tank). Note instruction #6, which lists some ways of getting water to the drill site, including a spray bottle. This is the approach that I took when drilling my tank while it was on the stand in an upright position.

^ You sound so good at it, you should come over for tacos and beer! ;)

Are you drilling a vertical or the bottom panel? What size bulkhead are you going to use? Are you going to go with a Glass-Holes overflow or what?

I'm going to drill it vertical. I ordered a glass-holes 1500 GPH kit. It uses dual 1.5" bulkheads.

And I think while I'm at it I'm going to drill a hole for the return as well.

The kit has a nice template that will help you keep the bit stable without having to angle the cut in initially. (While it's not too difficult, angling the bit in then bringing it upright while drilling takes a little getting used to.) If you're going to bring your return back in through the back (rather than over the top), then you'll probably be using a smaller bulkhead and, hence, a smaller bit. If you didn't order it, BRK in Manassas has bits on the shelf.

I used 2 of G-H's 1500 overflows on my 210. I think that you'll like them. I bring the two returns over the top, though.