Green AND Pink Pocillopora Coral or hybrid?

gizmoody

I have 2 pocillopora corals, one green and one pink. However, my pink pocillopora has developed some green on one branch. Is there a pink/green pocillopora that exists or is this some type of hybrid that formed in my tank? Pic below:

DSC_3493-edited.jpg

There's a rainbow variety. Very cool looking.

My green spawned in my system, now I have little one's growing everywhere.

There's a rainbow variety. Very cool looking.

My green spawned in my system, now I have little one's growing everywhere.

Spawned?! That's amazing. Are they a nuisance?

Spawned?! That's amazing. Are they a nuisance?

No not really, because only about 6 or 7 made it from the start, now I'm down to 3 baby pieces.

I have read some studies about corals accepting the zooxanthae from like species. It appears that may be the case here. Some of the pictures (like yours) are really cool. Nice find!

A marine biologist can explain it better than I but in laypersons words, from what I've read, pocillopora drops little pieces of itself as a way to reproduce. I don't recall the term for it. Your green one may have done this and the little piece landed on the pink one. This is probably what happened in Franks tank too. Very cool!

I have read some studies about corals accepting the zooxanthae from like species. It appears that may be the case here. Some of the pictures (like yours) are really cool. Nice find!

Yes, it's called symbiont shuffling and happens quite frequently - especially if a coral bleaches and accepts another clade.

A marine biologist can explain it better than I but in laypersons words, from what I've read, pocillopora drops little pieces of itself as a way to reproduce. I don't recall the term for it. Your green one may have done this and the little piece landed on the pink one. This is probably what happened in Franks tank too. Very cool!

P. damicornis is a brooder - which means it internally develops its larvae and releases settlement-competent larvae that are crawling around (they look like flatworms) looking to metamorphose into a primary polyp - that start of a new, baby coral.

There was a post a few months back about someone having a few tubastrea recruits. This is the same thing - Tubastrea is a brooder.

Watch out for P. dam. It's cute now when it does it, but when you have recruits popping up next to that uber-special, brand named Tyree acro that you paid out the nose for a 1/2" frag and the P dam is stinging it to death... you'll learn to drizzle kalk paste all over those new recruits... :)

Cheers

Mike

Yes, it's called symbiont shuffling and happens quite frequently - especially if a coral bleaches and accepts another clade.

P. damicornis is a brooder - which means it internally develops its larvae and releases settlement-competent larvae that are crawling around (they look like flatworms) looking to metamorphose into a primary polyp - that start of a new, baby coral.

There was a post a few months back about someone having a few tubastrea recruits. This is the same thing - Tubastrea is a brooder.

Watch out for P. dam. It's cute now when it does it, but when you have recruits popping up next to that uber-special, brand named Tyree acro that you paid out the nose for a 1/2" frag and the P dam is stinging it to death... you'll learn to drizzle kalk paste all over those new e... :)

Cheers

Mike

You're awesome, Mike. Thank you.

have any of u ever seen this in person in your system?

I have seen it on reef videos and it is cool to see it re seed itself, I woud love to see this